Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit 100 - New Rig

I’ve been wanting an Esprit 100 for a while now, it fits nicely between my Esprit 120 and 70mm Quad.

It arrived yesterday, so got to it this morning getting it all ready.   Pegasus Autofocuser fitted..  The new couplers they supply are so much better than the flexi type they used to use.  It’s now rock solid and on first test, very little backlash... but, time will tell.

I run the Pegasus UPB along with a mini pc on my rig,  Some £3 strips of L profile aluminium drilled and countersunk mount on the top of the tube rings and give a great platform for the UPB and mini PC..  It’s as good as anything you can buy for a lot more money and only a few grams in weight.

The two units attach with Velcro so they can be shifted between my scopes.  Just waiting on Mr Amazon to deliver some USB cables and dc power splitter...  still amazes me that you can order at 9pm and have it delivered the next day!

A3E769EF-B57A-4932-B303-D47E21B05C3E.jpeg

79BD4371-C7EB-4E15-8A79-1E6E7292BF04.jpeg

1F6A4ACD-B6D5-49D3-8EB1-77E416F70D44.jpeg

469A284B-CC44-447F-AD73-28CC773B775E.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Aidi,

That is a scope I've been hanging my nose over for a while now. Love how you have mounted the Pegasus UPB and the mini pc onto the rig to reduce the plethora of cables. I'm waiting for the day when batteries become small and powerful enough to attach  these onto the mount and be cable free.

Like your nice and tidy work bench 😀

Steve

• Like 1

Lol, it’s normally spotless!   

I’ve managed to find pretty much every usb cable at the length I need to reduce having to cope with extra, dew bands are cut to length so each scope has its own loom and cans easily swap the boxes between them without disturbing things too much.  With the PC being 12v as well, it leaves me with a single cable to the mount which is a 12v power cable.  Access to the pc is via Remote Desktop 

On 29/06/2019 at 11:39, Aidan said:

I’ve been wanting an Esprit 100 for a while now, it fits nicely between my Esprit 120 and 70mm Quad.

It arrived yesterday, so got to it this morning getting it all ready.   Pegasus Autofocuser fitted..  The new couplers they supply are so much better than the flexi type they used to use.  It’s now rock solid and on first test, very little backlash... but, time will tell.

I run the Pegasus UPB along with a mini pc on my rig,  Some £3 strips of L profile aluminium drilled and countersunk mount on the top of the tube rings and give a great platform for the UPB and mini PC..  It’s as good as anything you can buy for a lot more money and only a few grams in weight.

The two units attach with Velcro so they can be shifted between my scopes.  Just waiting on Mr Amazon to deliver some USB cables and dc power splitter...  still amazes me that you can order at 9pm and have it delivered the next day!

A3E769EF-B57A-4932-B303-D47E21B05C3E.jpeg

79BD4371-C7EB-4E15-8A79-1E6E7292BF04.jpeg

1F6A4ACD-B6D5-49D3-8EB1-77E416F70D44.jpeg

469A284B-CC44-447F-AD73-28CC773B775E.jpeg

Edited by Grierson
Please ignore. I’m trying to just get the text as a quote! Can’t seem to do it on the iPad.

Sorry about the above. Just wondered what significant improvement you are keen to achieve between the 100 and the 120. I keep thinking about an 80 to 120 upgrade but the more I read I seem never to get beyond the thinking stage.

4 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

How did you get the coarse focus knob off so that you could fit your focus motor?

lt’s not obvious on mine.

To get the knob off,  Look at the knob, the first hole in the focuser housing where the shaft is... turn the focus knob slowly, you'll see a grub screw appear in the hole, then just a case of loosening it for the knob to come off. 

Not the exact same focuser, but its the hole circled where the grub screw is

Equinox_crayford_focus_tension_adjustmant.jpg

3 hours ago, Grierson said:

Sorry about the above. Just wondered what significant improvement you are keen to achieve between the 100 and the 120. I keep thinking about an 80 to 120 upgrade but the more I read I seem never to get beyond the thinking stage.

Main thing is field of view.   I dont envisage any improvement from a general quality perspective... for the money, its hard to beat the Esprit range IMO...hence the 2nd one to my arsenal!!