Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FSQ106 star test

HunterHarling

Here are images from my first light with the Tak. The stars look slightly oval across the whole image, and I am trying to decide if this is collimation or sensor tilt. Also, the stars at the corner of the image have some coma or something, and this is only with aps-c! I am still waiting for my adapters, so I was only able to use a canon vs the asi.

The first image is at 0 degrees, and the second is at 270 degrees. It may have to load for a bit because they are large files.

i2.thumb.jpg.53f295a54d5d1ac7903ad02a00ebfb94.jpg

i1.thumb.jpg.0a704a7adca198903a211ee81b5bf76f.jpg

How does it look?

Thanks

Edited by HunterHarling
Info

Could you tell more about your setup?

It's not easy to say for sure what the problem is from your images, to more easily tell i think you should take a sequence of subs and stack them, problems will easier show up then.
Also do a 2nd sequence where you rotate your camera 180 degrees, this will make it much easier to compare as the FOV will be exactly the same.

3 hours ago, Xplode said:

Could you tell more about your setup?

It's not easy to say for sure what the problem is from your images, to more easily tell i think you should take a sequence of subs and stack them, problems will easier show up then.
Also do a 2nd sequence where you rotate your camera 180 degrees, this will make it much easier to compare as the FOV will be exactly the same.

I'm working on a stack now...

7 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I refocus if i rotate or if i slew to another part of the sky. I've found focus is changed by both actions.

I have to agree with this--unfortunately (unfortunate that its true--not that I have to agree 😃)

Rodd

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I refocus if i rotate or if i slew to another part of the sky. I've found focus is changed by both actions.

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I have to agree with this--unfortunately (unfortunate that its true--not that I have to agree 😃)

Rodd

I ran another set of images, this time with the ZWO, and the stars look fine. At this point I'm going to say the issue was the focus.

Thanks

1 hour ago, HunterHarling said:

I ran another set of images, this time with the ZWO, and the stars look fine. At this point I'm going to say the issue was the focus.

Thanks

Focus should remain constant across the FOV--be it good or bad.  If you slew and focus changes--it should change everywhere.

My experience was I was experiencing similar issues--I thought it was the spacing.  Orthogonality was not questioned because the camera worked perfectly on the TOA.  I did a star test and it was in collimation.  However, I finally sent it back to TNR and they tested it on the bench and the collimation was out.  Their collimation test is much more sensitive than a star test.  I hope you are right and that the issue is settled.  But keep looking and don't settle.

Rodd