NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi i am decide to buy a new mount for my skywatcher 150p but going round in circles... Would i be able to mount it onto an eq3-2 goto or would i be better getting the eq5 and adding the motor kit at a later date as there is no way i can afford the eq5 goto

The 150P sits nicely on an EQ-5. And as always the suggestion is to max out on the mount as best you can, so yes go for the EQ-5. Then when funds allow purchase the enhanced dual Drive set!. It will serve you well.

However. Don't discount second hand!.. pop a wanted up on SGL, check UK Astro Buy n Sell also.

Rob

Given that you have several recent posts in the imaging section I assume you want the new mount for imaging purposes. The mount that is always recommended as a minimum for the smaller 130pds is the HEQ5, so I would be quite wary of putting a larger telescope on a smaller mount. If that is the mount that is needed, then by buying a cheaper mount you are not saving the difference between the two, but wasting the cost of the cheaper mount as it is likely that you will end up having to buy the more expensive mount in the future. 

Its just casual imaging nothing to serious.... Its just that when researching and ive dont quite a bit of that people have been using the eq3-2 for imaging and as i said theres no way i can afford anything bigger than the eq5 manual

Edited by Anthony1979

Good advice from Rob.

Much of my kit was bought secondhand, or even multiple owned.

If you want to ugrade again later, or don't like the mount, then you won't lose much on resale.

If you sell on a new mount think in terms of 2/3 price if it is in really good condition, otherwise 1/2 price.
Then of course if Messrs Celeswatcheade have brought out something better in the meantime, do people want to pay much for your 'last years model'?

As a general rule I apply the following:

Get the biggest most solid mount your wallet will allow.
Don't forget your back if you have a long way between storage and setup - all mounts look the same size on web pages!

Hope this is useful.

David.

My first foray into astronomy was a 150p on a eq3-2 mount I had to put sand in the legs and put a weight hanging off the spreader until I found a HEQ5 tripod which fitted.

If I was you I would look on the secondhand market and get the best mount you can for your money.

An EQ5 will hold a 150p but if you can get a HEQ5 you will future proof yourself in case you want a bigger OTA.