Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation astro collimator battery?

Hi,

I have just purchased by first scope from eBay and received lots of extras with it. One of these is a revelation astro laser collimator, with no battery and no indication of what size battery it takes. Does anyone on here know what size it takes? My best guess is a 1/2AAA but I could spend ages guessing and buying batteries to test. 

I will try and add some photos tonight. 

Thanks for the help

Simon

11 minutes ago, Swillis said:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just found 3 LR44 batteries in the bottom of the box. 

Cheers!

+ side is up towards the on/off switch. 

Also, it is a good idea to check the collimation of the collimator and/or only use it for barlowed laser collimation of the primary. 

Edited by Ricochet

18 hours ago, Ricochet said:

+ side is up towards the on/off switch. 

Also, it is a good idea to check the collimation of the collimator and/or only use it for barlowed laser collimation of the primary. 

I had read that it needed collimating itself. Looks like a job for this evening. 

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Swillis said:

I had read that it needed collimating itself. Looks like a job for this evening. 

Thanks

This video may/will help ---> 

...or this one --->

Edited by Philip R

52 minutes ago, Swillis said:

Thanks

If you do need to collimate it you should back off all three collimation screws a bit first. The screws push against the thin tube that holds the batteries, if you tighten one without loosening the other(s) you will just crush the tube. 

Place the collimator in your v block and rotate it until the dot is at the bottom of the circle it draws. Tighten up the top most screw a touch. Repeat until it stays in the same place. You will probably find that you only use two screws to change the collimation so the last thing to do is to tighten the other screw to lock it in place.