NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Longest Day - Still Things To Enjoy

cloudsweeper

Poor conditions and time of year don't put me off (much), so I went out at 2.00am - very clear sky, still and mild (no woolly hat) - ST120 ready for duty.  My main aim was to do a comparison between the three 20mm EPs - TV Plossl, Meade 5000 UWA, Myriad MWA.

2.34am - aimed for the Double Cluster using x20 and a field of over 4deg - got it immediately - not as dense as I have seen it of course, but still a delight as always, with a range of magnitudes, very close, sharply focused.  The action of the 'scope is better since I re-greased and adjusted the focuser.  So up to x30 with the 20mm EPs.

TV Plossl - 1.67deg - sharp, good to edge - only a little field curvature (due to the 'scope most probably).  Next, the Meade, with 2.73deg - a similar view, perhaps with a little less contrast, although clouding made it hard to be certain, and prevented me from viewing through the Myriad.

The waning gibbous Moon, low, east of south, was now (2.57am) peeping over a roof - moved the 'scope for a better view through the Myriad, and Luna leapt into view - a fine spectacle, with some greenish CA around the limb, not a problem.  The cloud north and east then spread, obscuring the view somewhat, and also eliminating the CA.  Wisps of cloud moving over the Moon's face created a pleasing effect however.  Just after 3.00am, everything was lost to cloud.

So - an hour's observing, and a lot of pleasure, in spite of the light (then cloudy) conditions.  The three EP comparison will have to wait.......

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 6

Nice report, there's been a lot of cloudy but doable opportunities lately.

I have seen the same thing in my ST120 where CA is visible but then reduces or even disappears as thin cloud dims the view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Nice report, there's been a lot of cloudy but doable opportunities lately.

I have seen the same thing in my ST120 where CA is visible but then reduces or even disappears as thin cloud dims the view.

Very true Paz - it pays to grab even brief windows of clarity.

And about 45 minutes after I packed everything away, the clouds had mostly gone - talk about changeable!  It was getting light by then, but the Moon would have made a great target.  Never mind - still got a good hour in!

Doug.

• Like 1