NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro holidays

Fieldsy

Hi all 

me and a pal are looking at going on a short break so we are looking into biking and Astro and have found a place in France for a week, and I’m just wandering has any one ever done a Astro trip and  what you thought about it , was it worth the price.?

thanks 

Yes. I went to Les Granges, Olly Penrice’s place near Orpierre in France a few weeks ago. The sky’s are stunningly dark, the weather was warm and his Meade 14 inch SCT with Ethos and Nagler eyepieces gave amazing views of all objects. That area of the alps is known for biking. The only downside really is the time to get there, but then it’s dark skies and it is going to be a journey to get to anything like that. Was it worth it - no doubt in my mind but it I th8nk to make the journey etc worth while you’d have to go for a week. 

Hope that helps

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Yes. I went to Les Granges, Olly Penrice’s place near Orpierre in France a few weeks ago. The sky’s are stunningly dark, the weather was warm and his Meade 14 inch SCT with Ethos and Nagler eyepieces gave amazing views of all objects. That area of the alps is known for biking. The only downside really is the time to get there, but then it’s dark skies and it is going to be a journey to get to anything like that. Was it worth it - no doubt in my mind but it I th8nk to make the journey etc worth while you’d have to go for a week. 

Hope that helps

Steve 

I would love to go too.  Gee, bike in the day and astronomy at night = paradise found!  I also need some instruction to help me along a bit.  Problem for me is my GF Louise does not like long car journeys so the plan is to pack her off somewhere and come down with my daughters.  Maybe next year.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I would love to go too.  Gee, bike in the day and astronomy at night = paradise found!  I also need some instruction to help me along a bit.  Problem for me is my GF Louise does not like long car journeys so the plan is to pack her off somewhere and come down with my daughters.  Maybe next year.

Lots of people fly and rent a car but you'd want your bike with you, of course. I've flown about 60 times with my bike and it's fairly painless, especially with a racer without mudguards. Most bike shops will happily give you a used delivery box.

Olly

18 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

It is 11 hour drive for us but as I'm a hgv driver and pal black cabby, driving is not a prob lol

Agreed, I'm Ok with it too.  I'd want my car so as to be able to go exploring.   Probably need a stay over just north of Paris after driving first day from Nottingham.  I have driven to the South of France on several occasions in the past although not recently.  My 535D Touring can eat the motorways up for breakfast!

• Like 1