NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello, can someone confirm these planets?

Bandeen

Hello all! Im new to the forum :)

I like to do stargazing in my spare time and have a question for the pros :D

I live in Scotland, and looking towards the western horizon at around 4:30pm GMT I can see 2 VERY bright stars / planets quite close to each other, one appears to have a moon, or maybe just coinsidence?

I dont have nay pictures but I made a rought paint drawing lol!

objects.JPG

That is how they appear in the sky. There is a bright one to the top left, then under it, to the right is a huge bright star and with binoculars I can make out a small object to the top right of it.

The red arrows shows how they fall in the nights sky.

I had wondered if the lower one was Jupiter and I was seeing one of its moons but I thought it is too high up to be jupiter and not in the right place?

Can anyone clear up my mystery?

Many thanks,

Adam

Jupiter and Venus are currently south / south west this time of year and Jupiter isn't really visible until after 5, given your in Scotland I assume its slightly lighter skies so I can rule Jupiter and Venus out......especially if your using binoculars...unless their tripod mounted and very large you won't be able to make out the moons, especially in dusk conditions!

Your looking west, so I can say that the only bright object is Arcturus (orange star) in Bootes....thats my addition!

Thanks for your reply, just to clarify I was using binoculars to try and validate these things. They are clearly visible to the naked eye and are the brightest two objects in the early nights sky, its also rather dark at half 4, and pretty much pitch by half 5.

bottom star is a brilliant white, or at least very bright lol! I will try get a proper picture of it but I dont have an amazing zoom camera so might not come out as ideal.

Hmm,

Are you sure your looking directly West?

It may well be Venus (it appears bright white and large) with Jupiter next to it. But these lie S/SW pretty much following the line of the Sun. If they're about 30 degrees above the horizon (27 degrees being the size of your stretched-out hand at arms-length) then it will be Jupiter.

Above Jupiter should be the bright star Altair in Aquila, which appears white.

Yea my mistake, its not directly west sorry :oops:

SSW would be more accurate, also the height would appear to be as your describing! How bright is Altair, brightest in the sky?

I will try get a picture tomorrow if the skies are clear :)

Thanks for your replies!

Thats okay :)

Sirius is the (apparent) brightest star but that is N/NW this time of year and not visible until the early hours as it follows Orion up in the constellation Canis Major, with a magnitude of -1.44.

Altair is reasonably bright with a magnitude of 0.93 and is comparable with Vega and Deneb.

Altair forms the Summer triangle with these two stars and they all appear 'white' in colour.

They are amazing to see, so bright and clear at this time of year, I wish they were a little higher in the sky, but lots of trees and houses here makes good viewing hard :)

Hopefully get a good chance to take pics soon, typically as well its been cloudy!

Sirius is the (apparent) brightest star but that is N/NW this time of year and not visible until the early hours as it follows Orion up in the constellation Canis Major, with a magnitude of -1.44.

Eh?

Sirius, from the SE England rises and is just visible around 10pm - it's in the ESE. EA is right about the brightness though.

From Scotland the rising time will be a little later, but not much.

The view in the SW is Venus and Jupiter, Venus is the lower and brighter of the two.

This image was taken from Starry Night, with my location set to Edinburgh and the time set to 5pm.

10610_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ant

Archived