NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D Printer Geometry Problem

Gina

Well, I've calibrated the X and Y and they are the same within 0.1mm though a couple of tenths high now.  BUT the orthogonality is way out - 139mm and 143mm across diagonals.  It's worse than before I adjusted the X and Y calibration.  I've checked XY mechanical orthogonality with a set square and it's fine so the problem is the firmware that does the Core-XY system.  Seems the X and Y calibration is exactly that and not motor calibration.  Core-XY needs motor calibration.  I'll have to check the Duet firmware update history and see if this has been corrected.

3 hours ago, tekkydave said:

Could it be the belt tensions? If one is tighter than the other this can happen.

To produce an error of this magnitude belts should be very loose. It's not a millimetre error or so we're talking about here Dave.

Been having a look through the firmware history to see if there was an update for CoreXY that allowed calibration of the motors rather than actual X and Y, because setting the calibration for X and Y put orthogonality way out, but haven't found anything so assume this is still the same.

Edited by Gina

I'm sure I saw somewhere when I was originally setting up a printer with Duet control board about adjusting orthogonality to make the X and Y axes orthogonal ie. at right-angles but I can't find it now.

Worked my way through the G codes and found this :-

M667: Select CoreXY or related mode

This command is deprecated in RRF 2.03 and later. Use M669 instead.

Parameters

• Snnn CoreXY mode
  • Xnnn X axis scale factor (RRF 2.02 and earlier)
  • Ynnn Y axis scale factor (RRF 2.02 and earlier)
  • Znnn Z axis scale factor (RRF 2.02 and earlier)

Order dependency

• M667 must come earlier in config.g than any M671 command.

Example

• M667 S1

M667 S0 selects Cartesian mode (unless the printer is configured as a delta using the M665 command). Forward motion of the X motor moves the head in the +X direction. Similarly for the Y motor and Y axis, and the Z motor and Z axis. This is the default state of the firmware on power up.

M667 S1 selects CoreXY mode. Forward movement of the X motor moves the head in the +X and +Y directions. In firmware 1.19 and later, forward movement of the Y motor moves the head in the +X and -Y directions.

M667 S2 selects CoreXZ mode. Forward movement of the X motor moves the head in the +X and +Z directions. In firmware 1.19 and later, forward movement of the Z motor moves the head in the -X and +Z directions.

In versions of RRF prior to 2.03, additional parameters X, Y and Z may be given to specify factors to scale the motor movements by for the corresponding axes. For example, to specify a CoreXZ machine in which the Z axis moves 1/3 of the distance of the X axis for the same motor movement, use M667 S2 Z3. The default scaling factor after power up is 1.0 for all axes.

Decided to try resetting the XY calibration back to 80steps/mm and adjusting the physical XY orthogonality slightly off in the direction required to correct the print.  Now printing a new test.

Result :- X = 100.25mm, Y = 100.00mm, D1 = 140mm, D2 = 142mm so it's better.  Previously D1=139 and D2=143 so error halved.  Have adjusted it about the same again and reprinting.  X and Y axes are now 2mm off square in 500mm.  D1 and D2 are the diagonals.

Edited by Gina

X=100.12mm, Y=99.97mm, D1=142mm, D2=141mm.  Corners seem square compared with a square envelope. 

50mm test cube :- X=50.12mm, Y=49.67mm, Z=50.08mm, D1=69.75mm, D2 70.02mm.   All corners square as far as I can tell.

Anyway, geometry problem is solved and now it's just a matter of tweaking.  Couple of parts to make for the printer then I expect to get back to 3D printing astro parts.

Edited by Gina