Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera suggestions for planetary / Lunar imaging

I am looking into getting a camera to do some planetary imaging (despite their poor positioning for the next few years 😞 ).

I currently have a ZWO 1600M that I use with my WO 73 for DSO, but thought using my Explorer 150 or MAK 127 would be better for planetary or lunar, but what camera to use.

I do not want to spend a small fortune as DSO's are my main passion but would like to be able to do some Lunar / Planetary stuff on the short, partially cloudy nights.

I guess my cannon would work fine with my Explorer but I don't think I could fit it on the MAK ???

Or do I get something like ZWO ASI 224MC USB 3.0 OSC ?

Whatever do I need other equipment such as an ADC, or filters ?

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

If I read your signature correctly, you already have quite suitable camera for planetary imaging - Altair GP130M guide camera - maybe give it a go?

It will need filters since it is mono camera, and that is slight disadvantage in terms of ease of capture and processing, but you can start with mono captures to get a feel for it (just IR/UV cut filter).

I think that better option for planetary would be your 6" F/8 newtonian then Mak127. You'll need x2 barlow (which you have) and you should be pretty much set.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

If I read your signature correctly, you already have quite suitable camera for planetary imaging - Altair GP130M guide camera - maybe give it a go?

It will need filters since it is mono camera, and that is slight disadvantage in terms of ease of capture and processing, but you can start with mono captures to get a feel for it (just IR/UV cut filter).

I think that better option for planetary would be your 6" F/8 newtonian then Mak127. You'll need x2 barlow (which you have) and you should be pretty much set.

I did think of using it (normally is on my DSO rig as guidescope) and may well give it a go but just thought a OSC would be easier (lazy me 😞 ). If I get some clearish skies I may try it out. What would you do regarding the filters just use a filter drawer or something as I think my filter wheel  would be a tad heavy for either the 150 or MAK.

Steve

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I did think of using it (normally is on my DSO rig as guidescope) and may well give it a go but just thought a OSC would be easier (lazy me 😞 ). If I get some clearish skies I may try it out. What would you do regarding the filters just use a filter drawer or something as I think my filter wheel  would be a tad heavy for either the 150 or MAK.

Steve

If you want to try just imaging for example Moon - maybe use narrow band filter - Ha or similar. Easiest way is to just screw it in directly into nose piece of camera (you should have CS/1.25" extension of sorts and it should be threaded for filters).

Using filters on planets does require use of filter wheel, and if the one that you own is too heavy/bulky for use on your scopes then indeed OSC might be sensible path. Changing filters takes some time, and you want to limit your total run on Jupiter and Saturn to couple of minutes, otherwise you risk having motion blur due to planets rotation. There is option to shoot longer sessions, but you need to use special software to "derotate" captured movie (WinJUPOS for example).

You can get either 224 or 385 (anything with low read noise) and even use those later as guide cameras, effectively "upgrading the guider" - if you need good excuse for spending additional £££ :D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

if you need good excuse for spending additional £££ :D

🤣 I see where you are coming from but I am due to retire next year so thought I better get my gear in while I am earning. Well that was one of my excusses to the missus anyway.