NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fork demount ...worth it?

Guest chaz2b

Guest chaz2b

I have an old Meade LX90 EMC, and was considering a defork , as I have a Skywatcher EQ6 which I can control via WiFi.

Has anyone done a defork with the intention of using with an EQ mount? Is there a benefit?

pros and cons?

mtia chaz

I took my 10" LX50 off its wedge/fork mount when the electronics packed up and put it on an AZEQ6..  apart from then having a working scope I also gained go-to capability which to me was a real bonus. Downside was that it was somewhat more difficult to move about.  This resulted in the purchase of an observatory and the slippery slope (£££) of astrophotography.

Dave

ps should add that mine was left set up on a trolley and wheeled out of a shed

Edited by Laurin Dave

Think if you did you would use it more..I've got a 10 inch which I planned to de-fork and have only used it once in 2 years because of setting it up, storing it all has it's hassles, where as if it was on its dovetail it takes up far less space, easier to transport and store..

Guest chaz2b

Well that’s what I thought, less weight to carry around, plus I can use the eq6 for more than just refracts.

should have suitable length dovetail about plus a plate.

chaz

I did it and deeply regretted it. My aim was to use a 10 inch for DS imaging (because, as a beginner back then, I didn't know why this was a poor idea.) I began with a wedge (useless) then went to deforking it for mounting on a GEM. It was still not suitable for imaging and had now lost the beautiful convenience of the fork mount for visual.

I later inherited a 14 inch LX200 and left well alone. It is so convenient for visual. (You can move a fork SCT around on its tripod using a timber sled and sack truck.)

I will defork the 14 inch only when/if a mount electronics failure makes it compulsory.

Olly

• Like 1