Will I see the light?

oobydooby

Ten minutes ago workmen arrived in our wee close and within that time had replaced all the old street lamps with LED ones.  They look the same as those replaced on the main streets and if so they will be well directed onto the pavements and road and should not shine into my bedroom like the old ones did.

The light outside my bedroom is less than 5 metres away and at the same height as the window, so hopefully I should be able to remove the heavy blackout curtains which I needed for the old lights and put up some lighter ones, and I might even be able to use my binos to view the stars, especially Orion when it is around.

Here's hoping I don't see the light!

I reckon the new streetlights give me about an extra 0.5 to 0.75 mag in my SQM readings from my garden and, if I wander down the road a bit so I don't have two directly overlooking the meter, it is even better. They are certainly a lot less "glary" - I used to look out of my bedroom window and imagine new constellations from all the streetlights I could see, now there are only very few.

For me, despite the worries I had before installation, these new lights are a definite 'thumbs up'.  Suppose I had better go and find my tin helmet now ...

I think alot depends on the design used. Some have had a hugely negative impact from replacement lights and I suspect some of this is where the design is for fewer but higher lamps to get the same coverage. Then glare from those looks horrid.

In my case I would agree with @Demonperformer in that mine are around actions 0.5 mag better!; mag 19 vs mag 18.5

19 hours ago, oobydooby said:

Ten minutes ago workmen arrived in our wee close and within that time had replaced all the old street lamps with LED ones.  They look the same as those replaced on the main streets and if so they will be well directed onto the pavements and road and should not shine into my bedroom like the old ones did.

The light outside my bedroom is less than 5 metres away and at the same height as the window, so hopefully I should be able to remove the heavy blackout curtains which I needed for the old lights and put up some lighter ones, and I might even be able to use my binos to view the stars, especially Orion when it is around.

Here's hoping I don't see the light!

In my experience, if you have any issues with the new lights, the best time to get it sorted is now. The contractors will have 'issue resolution' as part of their contract and so if you ring and complain about the light shining into your property there will be someone to deal with it. 

In my case, I complained the light at the bottom of the garden (15 or so metres away from the house) caused a glare in the bedroom, and they fitted a shield (after a couple of chase-up calls). 

It doesn't block all the light, but drastically improved things. 

Update.

I did sleep well last night and must say I was not bothered by the light.  It may be that I was extraordinarily tired, so will look out tonight, but so far it looks good. 

Archived