Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Refractor(s).. a vote

I would like to poll which of the following you would go for.

I have also posted this on Cloudy Nights as well..I wonder if there will be a difference in ideas.

At the moment I have a Celestron C80ED with a CG5 goto mount plus bits and pieces, I bought this because they are selling as cheap as chips .This has got me nicely off the ground but in a year or 2 I will try some astrophotography so the C80 will be my wide field/tracking scope. I know I will need to upgrade the mount but for now I will stick with visual observations.

So....I have a budget of around £1000 for a Refractor

A) buy a Skywatcher F7.5 120ED semi APO or equivalent £950

or

B)buy a SW Equinox F7.5 semi APO or equiv £1050

or

C)buy a Meade 127 F7.5 or equivalent APO triplet £1100

or

D) buy the older (gold) Skywatcher F9 100ED semi APO AND a Skywatcher or equivalent F8 6inch Achro yard cannon both for less £800.

Also looking out for second hand.. say a 152mm Takahashi for £1000... dream on...eh?

Your vote and/or comments please

Thanks Pete

I'm interested in why you refer to the Skywatchers as semi-apo's ? - it is because they are doublet rather than triplets ?.

I'm interested because I've owned and tried a number of the ED80's and ED100's as well as a WO Megrez 90, my current Vixen ED102SS and I've also looked through a Tele Vue's Genesis SDF, NP101 and 102 refractors and, IMHO the Synta ED's were just as good as the others mentioned in terms of colour correction, visually at least.

With regard to the scopes that you have listed, I reckon visually there is little to pick between them so I would go for aperture. For imaging (I'm not an imager) I believe it's generally thought that triplets are slightly better.

I notice that Stellarvue are not on your list - they do seem to be very well thought of as well.

John

John, in response to your comment about referring to the ED's as semi apo's I thought this was the term best used, but I am happy to be corrected. At the end of the day if the eye sees the image without colour fringes the the term APO is fine by me and I'm glad to hear you say that the ED's are very good as these are on my short list.

As far as stellavue and other makes also mentioned I think they are too much for my budget just now, well new at least..secondhand? I also want as big an aperture Refractor as I can afford but with good optics.

I have also spotted the Vixen 140ss neo achromatic which I can get in my price range is it any good?anybody?

cheers pete

Pete, I'm guessing you are planning to pair up the 80ED with the larger frac to give you a choice of focal length using the other scope for guiding. That makes a lot of sense for an imaging set up.

The SW ED120s have good enough colour correction to be called apos in my book. A couple of nights ago in reasonable seeing Vega showed now colour whatsoever when tightly focussed. It isn't just about colour correction though, optical quality is important doublets are easier to manufacture in this regard than triplets. So a triplet isn't an automatic bonus.

I am very happy with my ED120, I have been happy with its imaging and visual performance.

I know in the past there has been problems with the cheaper triplets but they may have fixed it recently ie checks in europe/uk before shipping but....

I wasn't thinking of the Meade specifically (I have no experience of this scope so can't express any opinion), just a general point that just because a scope is a triplet doesn't automatically make it superior to a doublet. I wouldn't go for a achro for imaging though. It might have brilliant optics but colour will be a issue unless it is high F ratio which wouldn't make it great for deep sky work.

Archived