NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saxon Cielo HD 1.25″ ED Eyepiece

Hi,  sorry for yet another post question,  

I am also looking to move into a dedicated imaging, planetary scope.

I was hoping to find out some information regaring the Saxon Cielo HD 1.25" ED Eyepieces

I am looking at the Sky Rover ULT 115 ED Glass Triplet 115mm APO Refractor Telescope

The current eyepieces that i have are:

Tele Vue Delos 10mm

Baader Hyperion 5mm Wide angle eyepiece

What i am hoping to find out is, how do my two eye pieces compare the the Saxon eyepieces in this telescope.

I realise this might be a broad question,  but i am trying to find out if i go with this telescope,  am i better of with my eye pieces or will it perform better with the Saxon eyepieces.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Interestingly I had a look through the 5mm model of this Saxon EP a few weeks ago when I went to check out the Vixen SLV 5mm.

The sales assistant was adamant that the Saxon was just as good as the Vixen plus the advantage (?) of a much wider FOV and half the price. I had a look through both at a distant advertising board through the store window and could see no real difference between them, but then that was not a real test of any EP. The main drawback for me was the difference in size, the Vixen is nice and compact, whereas the Saxon is about 4 times the size.

So it would come down to choices of size, cost and FOV for you to determine which benefits you would want.

Saxon is usually a re-branding of Skywatcher / Synta made products.

In this case I think the Saxon Cielo HD eyepieces are a re-branding of the Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces so look for comments on the performance of the Celestron versions (which are quite popular on here) to get an idea of performance. Celestron is another brand owned by Synta these days.

Having tried a few of the X-Cel XL's I think they are decent eyepieces but quite not as good performers as the Delos or, with the exception of the wider field of view, the Vixen SLV's.

Thanks for the replies,  appreciated.

Yes the Saxon Cielo HD rage is the same range as the Celestron X-Cel line.

I was mainly interested to hear what they compare to the Tele Vue eyepieces in the Refractor.

I don't really want to get a lesser quality eyepiece for the Refractor if my Tele Vue eyepieces are better performers.

The Skyrover 115mm ED triplet is F/7 I believe ?

Of the eyepieces you mention, the Delos has the best overal performer in my opinion but the Hyperion and the Saxon Cielo / X-Cel LX's will not be far behind in an F/7 optical system.

The Delos costs 3x / 4x as much as the Hyperions and Saxon Cielo / X-Cel LX's so the performance differences will almost certainly not be anywhere near that order of difference.

Can you get the Vixen SLV eyepieces in Australia ?. These cost around the same as Hyperions but, in return for a slightly smaller field of view, the optical quality of the SLV's is comparable to the Delos and Pentax XW's I feel.

33 minutes ago, John said:

Can you get the Vixen SLV eyepieces in Australia ?

Yes you can, but like everything else astronomy related it tends to cost a lot more here. That's why I tend to order nearly all my equipment from the UK (FLO mainly), as it is quite a bit cheaper even with postage included.

Based on the number of people who have reported black specs on lenses inside their Celestron XCel LX eyepieces, I would steer clear of any other rebrandings of the same eyepiece.  The Meade HD-60 5000 series are very similar to the XCel LX and don't have any reports of debris on lenses.  I have a set of the Meades, and the 4.5mm, 6.5mm, and 9mm all compare very favorably to the XW/XL and Delos lines of eyepieces.  The 12mm to 25mm are good in the center, but fall off in sharpness toward the edges.  I have not noticed any debris in any of them.

Which focal lengths were you looking at acquiring?

Archived