Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where does idea of infinite size of universe come from?

On 23/05/2019 at 03:51, vlaiv said:

Just yesterday I was reading sort of "renormalization for dummies" kind of text - and while it is still out of my grasp, it did provide insight into similar understanding - we try different "hacks" to circumvent problems that arise from usage of math and concepts of infinities - because inherently underlying world does not work with infinities.

Even after renormalization in a renormalizable quantum field theory, most calculations of {what should be) physical quantities still yield infinity.

5 minutes ago, George Jones said:

Even after renormalization in a renormalizable quantum field theory, most calculations of {what should be) physical quantities still yield infinity.

That is no doubt very useful :D

9 hours ago, andrew s said:

Oh course @saac you have at this very moment an infinity of masses depending on the velocity of the reference frame you measure it in with relative velocity v where |v| < c 😱

Regards Andrew 

You have just blown my mind with that Andrew :)  I am now gripping my chair for dear life as I contemplate hurtling through the universe with my infinity of masses at break neck speed :)  May explain why I'm finding it so difficult to lose some weight ;  is that the ultimate delusional excuse "I'm over weight because of my chosen reference frame" .   I like it. :) 

Jim 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've never liked the idea of infinity but I'm not a mathematician. Then again, I've never liked the idea that what I like or don't like will be of great interest to the universe...

:Dlly

Ssssh , I think it's listening Olly. :) 

Jim 

• Haha 2