SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bootes Beauties - A Few Doubles

After an earlier lunar session with the 8SE, I went back out to take the opportunity to see some stars for the first time in a few weeks.  The Moon had hidden itself behind the tall trees in the west, and the sky was largely clear.  I spotted Arcturus at 9.40pm and aligned on it, then tried for the following doubles:

Sigma 1884, Sigma 1825, Sigma 1854, and Izar - all in Bootes.  I put the SAO numbers into the handset for locating these targets (except Izar - just entered the name).

The first was just split at x169; the second was a little easier; the third I am not sure about, but I sketched the observation anyway; Izar (Pulcherrima, most beautiful) was slightly orange, and was trickier to split since the primary is very bright.

This second session ended at at 11.10, after 1.5 hours.  It was good to get back in action!

Doug.

P1070026.JPG

• Like 10

Nice report, nice template too! I've never found my C8 that good for splitting doubles, at least not as good as I would expect from 8" aperture, yours is probably better than mine! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Nice report, nice template too! I've never found my C8 that good for splitting doubles, at least not as good as I would expect from 8" aperture, yours is probably better than mine! 

Yes Rob, the Cat does not give the sharpest of images, especially with brighter stars, but sometimes I just go for the GoTo and tracking features!

Doug.

8 hours ago, John said:

Nice report Doug :thumbright:

I'm overdue a session here. A few "sucker gaps" in the clouds tonight but generally nothing going.

Maybe tomorrow night ?

Thanks John.  Yes, I did well - two sessions, 3.5 hours (inc. break) - well overdue.  Hope you manage something this evening!

Doug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Excellent report, Doug. I was actually worried about you and the lack of reports. Bloomin clouds! Glad you got some clear skies :) 

Thanks Neil - how touching!  😉  And leading up to this session, I bought another EP (report to follow some time) and have planned for one more!  (I'd say the last one, but you know how it is......)

Doug.

• Haha 1