Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fireball over western Canada

The Warthog

A couple of nights ago, a bright fireball appeared in the sky over Saskatchewan, near the Alberta border, between the city of Lloydminster and some town in Saskatchewan that I've never heard of. Despite what a lot of youtubers have put in, it happened east of Lloydminster, and not in Alberta.

Scientists reckon it was about the size of a grapefruit, and parts of it may have hit the ground. There are a whole lot of native people up there looking for it, and if it's there, they will probably find it. It was very, very bright.

Here is a compilation of several camera recordings of the event, with weird theme music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv2Ozovf9Ls

It was seen in three provinces, and those western provinces are each about the size of England.

If I recall previous discussions correctly, something the size of a grapefruit would be slowed to the point that it would make a hole, or bounce, depending on the ground. If it lands in muskeg, you'll never see it again, but there's lots of solid ground up there.

There's one drawback to being an amateur astronomer. When something of this magnitude happens, everyone asks "did you see that?". :hello2: Mind you, I suppose even some non-astro types have heard that question. It's been pretty big news & has been a good launching pad for discussion on my favorite topic. In talking with my mother (of all people?!) she said a group (RASC?) in Edmonton (Alberta), made the claim that it was 1-2 meters in diameter on the news.

Archived