NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Lightbridge 16" Observation report as of 21.11.2008

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" Dob

Friday 21st Nov 2008

Seeing Mag 4.4

Started observing at 20.00 hrs.

Started on my favourites M37, M36 and M38 in Auriga. As always these three clusters never fail to entertain me, so much to look at. While looking at M38 I managed to bag NGC 1907 it 's an open cluster in Auriga and consisted of about 30 stars. Two very bright stars were towards the southern limits of the cluster. Easily fitted into the FOV of my TAL32mm at x57 mag.

I then swung over to the M15 in Pegasus. This was the best I have ever seen this Globular Cluster, it was simply awesome. It was very easy to find being about mag 6 and 12' across in size. It was very bright and the core was easily seen in the 21mm Hyperion at x87. I counted at least 25 resolved stars using the 21mm. When I placed my 10mm TAL in at x182 mag it didn't really improve the view just enlarged it.

I then looked at NGC 7094 Pegasus this Nebula forms a triangle with M15 and Epsilon Pegasus as the other points. I was in the correct part of the sky but for the life of me could I detect this nebula using all my available eyepieces. It is rather dim at mag 13.4 but I thought i would give it a go.

After this swung the dob back over to Taurus and spotted the Crab Nebula M1 straight away. It was so easy to spot I was pretty shocked. The shape of the nebula clearly stood out against the dark background but no filament or any other detail could be seen using a variety of eyepieces. Best view was in the Tal 25mm at x73 with a FOV of just under one degree.

While I was in Taurus I checked out M45. I love this cluster of stars. I swear I saw slight nebulosity around Merope.

It was now almost 21.30 and very cold, the skies were so clear and because of this I could just make out a hint of the Milky Way. Very dim but definitely there with dark adapted vision.

As it was so clear I tried for Bodes Galaxies. I have seen these before but they were very dim. This time found them really easy. The spiral galaxy M81 was easily seen and a very bright core could be detected. The spiral arms were also seen but only after a long periods of uninterrupted viewing. You really had to stare at the galaxy until they popped out.

The cigar galaxy M82 was also easily seen and the elongated shape easily stood out against the dark sky.

Both galaxies are framed in my hyperion 21mm which gives a 0.78 degree FOV. But look better in the TAL 32mm which gives a 0.91 degree FOV.

I then moved upwards and found NGC 6939 a Open Cluster in Cephus. All I can say is Wow about 150 stars. In the middle is a kite like pattern and within the cluster there are a few coloured stars. Very pretty and impressive why it did not make a Messier I do not know.

In the same FOV as NGC 6939 is spiral galaxy NGC 6946 in Cephus. This was incredibly hard to spot and was only visible as a background blur while scanning with the 21mm Hyperion. Tried different eyepieces but none made any difference. I can honestly say there was something there but no shape was detected.

I moved up a touch and had a scan around IC 1396 a very large Open Cluster in Cephus. Once again just jaw dropping in the 16" dob. My Tal 32mm at x 57 just filled my vision with stars. Would now class this as one of my favourites.

Swept eastwards and picked up M39 in Cygnus. This was very hard to spot I had to download an image of the web to confirm I had it. The problem is it lies in a very packed star field and is hard to detect. But once detected it is a lovely site. Twelve very bright stars stand out against some very dim stars. Looked great in the 25mm Tal at x73.

I moved up to Lacerta and found the Open Cluster NGC 7243 this I must say is one of my favourites now. Such a rich and striking cluster, it consisted off at least 120 stars, just lovely. No colour detected but so many different size stars, they just dazzled me.

By now my feet were frozen and my telrad was as well.

So as there was a few clouds closing in, I called it a night at 23.25.

Thanks Mick, wonderful night you had! :thumbright:

Through my 8" SCT (62x/49' fov), NGC 6939 appears cloud-like there are so many stars. The brightest concentration seems to be in the SE corner towards HD 196085. I didn't notice the shape when doing my sketch but you're right, the cloud definitely resembles a kite. 8)

Oh, and I also sketched NGC 6946 on a night when the transparency was pretty good (telescopic stellar magnitude limit was 13.7). The galaxy was large, faint, and round in shape.

Btw, there's a 2'x0.8' mag 14.3 galaxy (PGC 64824) about 15' SW of the open cluster(6939).. did you happen to notice it? It's way out of reach for me.

You're right about NGC 7243.. it's definitely a sparkly beauty, isn't it? I can only imagine how much more stunning it looks through larger aperture. Thanks again. :hello2:

Hello Carol

I must get into this sketching side of the hobby. I'm not an imager so sketching would be a great way to preserve my memories.

Galaxies are very hard to spot even in my 16" scope, I must get a UHC / O111 filter so one's like NGC 6946 pop out at me.

Btw I didn't see PGC 64824 but will have a look again later.

But you should have seen NGC 7243 I was amazed at so many stars in such a compacted FOV.

Cheers :hello2:

Excellent report Doc. I had a wee shot of Andrew's 16" Lightbridge at Kielder this year and would agree with you - I was sure I could see some nebulosity around Merope - but I wouldn't swear to it.

A cracking 'scope anyway - 16" aperture certainly provides ample opportunity to observe our favourite DSOs.

Tom

Fantastic report, Doc, and some very interesting targets by the sound of it.

What reference are you using, by the way? They sound well worth trying out, and I really ought to expand my horizons and dip into Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (my reference book) more often.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Before I start observing I make a list of objects I want to view mainly by using Cartes Du Ciel.

I then make notes as I view these and the next day I write a report with references from the NGC/IC Project.

You can see it here. It gives detail and photos of the objects you look at.

http://www.ngcic.org/dss/dss_ngc.htm

Thats about it really

• 3 weeks later...

A good read & a good link. Think I shall be trying a few new objects :(

I just wanted to know how you go about estimating the magnitude of your observing location?

Cheers

Dave

It's nothing scientific....

All I do is look for dimmest star that I can see clearly and look on Cartes du ceil for the magnitude. Note it down. Then I look for a similar star on cartes du ceil but in the opposite part of the sky being very simillar in magnitude. I then see if I can see it with the naked eye. If I can then thats my limiting magnitude.

If I cannot then I repeat it until I can.

Archived