SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar Filter (Newtonian Dust Cap)

Portech7

Hi All

Quick question, probably been asked many times, so my apologies ?.

On my Newtonian, the main tube dust cap has a smaller dust cap and hole in it. Has anyone ever stuck some Baader film on the inside and used this for solar observations? I think it will be fine, but better to check due to me not wanting to go blind ?

Cheers All

Edited by Portech7
Typo

Very common thing to do.

This shows the idea. Scroll down to dust cap mount. In the pics shows drilling a hole through the dust cap but of course as ypur scope allready has the handly little dust cap not needed. Good tip about the white card on the outside to reduce heating of the scope.

http://www.dracoproductions.net/Endcap_Telescopes.htm

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Cheers John, thought it was a reasonable way to do it, but the confirmation is reassuring.

The white card on the outside is a good idea, didn't consider the heat build up.

Thanks again John ?

So the Astrofilm arrived today and I've made the solar filter using the main tube cap. Its not tightly stressed so should be good.

I've sandwiched the film between two pieces of card with holes cut out a little larger that the hole in the cap. I then stuck this sandwich inside the dust cap. Should be well protected as I have the dust cap for the hole.

Will check film prior to first use and have made a card to protect the cap as advised.

Ignore the tape, its a reminder for me so I don't accidentally damage the film when taking g the cap off?

Looking forward to next sunny day and thanks for all the advice ?

IMG_20190430_214908.jpg

IMG_20190430_214925.jpg

• Thanks 1