SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice on which dew heater controller to buy.

Am looking to buy a new dew heater control - a dual one is all I need so have been looking at the Kendrick and Pegasus one, £107 and £99 respectively.  Is there much to choose between them and are there any other options I might consider.  I have plenty of Kendrick dew tapes.

Annie

The two controllers you've mentioned are really very overpriced, along with the Astrozap for what's actually in them and you're paying for a brand name in my opinion.

The Hitecastro is a 4 port with the same functionality and 4 outputs instead of just 2 at £74. 

The Lynx-astro is also a 4 port at £99 but also has PC control of power settings via a USB connector which may be useful. The 2 port Lynx Astro controller at £69 also has PC control but the two outputs are not individually controllable with one setting affecting both.

A much cheaper alternative is to buy a couple of PWM controllers like these. You'll need to build them into a suitable box but if you're diy minded it's the way to go. :smile: These are only 2A per channel but is fine for most dew straps. You can get higher current versions if you want.

Alan 

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 3

I know the gear from Dewcontrol is good quality and his dual controller is only £ 49.00. I don't own one, so can't speak from personal use, but I know a few people who do. The controllers employ the press button method of control rather than the rotating knobs and both channels are independent. 

Designed and built in the UK if that makes any difference to you.

I do know from personal experience that he stands by his products !

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Alan - my diy has improved since I started imaging but still not great!  I don't need pc control  so may have a look at Dave's suggestion.  I did think the two I mentioned were a bit overpriced so am pleased you reinforced that.

Thanks Dave am going to look at your suggestion.

Annie

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dave - just to say I ordered and have received the dual channel dew heater control as per your suggestion at: /www.dewcontrol.com/Dual_Channel_Digital_Dew_Controller/p3099125_13437758.aspx    It looks well made, and arrived quickly.  Looks just the job - thanks.

Annie

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2019 at 17:58, davew said:

I know the gear from Dewcontrol is good quality and his dual controller is only £ 49.00. I don't own one, so can't speak from personal use, but I know a few people who do. The controllers employ the press button method of control rather than the rotating knobs and both channels are independent. 

Designed and built in the UK if that makes any difference to you.

I do know from personal experience that he stands by his products !

Dave.

I was in the market for some heaterstraps for my newly purchased Mak. Just placed an order on two straps and the dual control box after I saw your post.

• Like 1