SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focuser upgrade

I am using an Orion Space Probe 130 short tube. I like the scope and recently upgraded the mount from eq2 to skywatcher eq5 pro goto, what a difference, the old saying “ no mount, no scope” couldn’t be more true.

My question is this..... do I buy an SW 150 pds to get into planetary/ lunar imaging, (max size for my mount) as the focuser on my Orion is a serious handicap.

I have been following a huge thread from the SW 130 pds owners who are getting amazing results from the same aperture as mine, but that scope has the two inch dual speed focuser.

Does anyone know if there is a focuser available for my Orion that will in effect make it a 130 pds?

I don’t want to buy a slightly larger scope to get a dual speed focus, camera friendly focuser if I can add one to what I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Marv

Where are you located in France, Marvin?  There are a number of subscribers from French locations (including me until the end of May) who might have alternative equipment you can take a peek through before upgrading.  For example, I have a  SW 150 PDS myself. 

As far as I can see your existing focuser takes only 1.25" eyepieces.  Most dual-speed focusers have 2" draw tubes so you would have to modify the aperture in the tube, even assuming you could find a focuser that then fits your tube's parameters.  It's a subject that has been raised elsewhere since 2009 and there seems to be no quick, easy or cheap fix.  You're talking at least £100 for a new focuser, even before you start  enlarging the aperture in your tube. A new OTA that comes with a decent focuser included might be your best move for imaging and keep the Orion for observing on your old EQ2 mount, if you still have it.  There is a second-hand 150 PDS for sale on AstroBuySell at present.. https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=149128  Not much more than the cost of a new focuser.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I am in dept 82 Tarn et Garonne near the border split of Tarn et Garonne/Lot/Lot et Garonne. If you can find Bourg de Visa on a map I am three k’s away. What’s your general location?

I have looked at focusers in general and saw they were expensive. I don’t mind modifying the scope tube to take a two inch unit but if it is close in price to just buying a pds then I will probably just do that.

I still have the eq2 mount so I could make that a simple in the van outfit for when I am night fishing. No harm in mixing the two great pastimes of my life.

15 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Thanks for the info. I am in dept 82 Tarn et Garonne near the border split of Tarn et Garonne/Lot/Lot et Garonne. If you can find Bourg de Visa on a map I am three k’s away. What’s your general location?

Not a million miles from you Marvin.  The village of Saint-Plancard in Haute-Garonne.  We spend about half the year there in scattered chunks.  I guess you'd be about a  two and a half to three hour drive. 

I got my 150pds second-hand and, frankly, the focuser was so well-worn I replaced it.  So you might need to check the condition if you buy a used version.  I have a good spare focuser that I bought for a different project but it won't fit your Space Probe.  Have you checked Leboncoin for used 'scopes?  There is the occasional bargain to be had through LBC, though most expectations seem way too high.  PM me for directions if you fancy a drive down some time.

Hi Marvin,

I have a used with a very good working focuser and the upgraded 9 x 50 finder available for sale at £120.00 UK pounds. I you look at astro buy and sell you will see my advert for it.

Kind regards, Patrick

Thanks HAsun but I going to buy new. Delivery to rural France is amazing. My wife’s fathers ashes went missing for three months.

My last DHL delivery was passed to a ‘ third party courier’ which in France translates to an outlaw biker, in a beaten up van who calls you from the nearest village to say he has no idea how to get to your house. If you get to him in 15 minutes your in luck. I got there with two minutes to spare and he was kicking my gear out the back door with his foot onto the road.

Always makes me smile when I hear someone on this forum say that their new scope needed slight collimating when they took ownership after delivery. 

I have to say as a footnote, although my initial scope and mount came from Orion (third party delivery) everything from FLO has been spot on.

Marv

Archived