Simeis 147 in Ha

Aka the Spaghetti Nebula, another image from the end of February. Astonishing to think a 40,000 year old supernova remnant is still visible across 3 degrees of the sky. It's thought that the progenitor was once a member of M36 in Auriga, and it left behind a pulsar.

1965808269_SpaghettiNebula135mmHa700.JPG.3db9672b7eb90bfd46500cc95bff1b76.JPG

(~1h56m, 3 minute subs, 1100D and Samyang 135mm f2). Does anyone know what the small, almost featureless blob of Ha at lower right is please? I thought it was a flare from a bright star to begin with. I also wonder if the faint material surrounding it could have been ejected before the progenitor went supernova.

Here's the inverted version.

1800095705_SpaghettiNebula135mmHaInverted700.thumb.JPG.40e6e9fc5d3f4e2aa28d35c2fb4b68b5.JPG

Not an easy target for a DSLR, took a lot of work to isolate it from the background. But it looks good if I move my chair back from the monitor. Would have been a much better target for the 1600MM cool which would also have framed it more tightly.

A bit bigger, but may not be worth posting it this size...

143660142_SpaghettiNebula135mmHa.thumb.JPG.0b07555422bb17ebee6d891a3564f956.JPG

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here's its location on the border of Auriga, it's much closer to the Flaming Star Nebula than I'd realised.

940691651_Simeis147PlateSolved.thumb.jpg.f67653c8b4ac833b3e073ab9730da00e.jpg

The small nebula I noticed is Sh2-242 and is thought to be nearly 9,000 light years away, in the Perseus arm of the Milky Way.

Very good job there. This one is highly on my radar. I recently was imaging Auriga and tried to frame this via the viewfinder on my DSLR, working from the tadpoles, but I wasn’t just quite in the right place that I see yours.

Really well done ?? 

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Could this be done in normal colour or is it too faint?

I have just detected it before in 6.5hrs of exposure using a modded 350d and a 85mm lens at ISO400, f4 : https://www.chromosphere.co.uk/2017/12/18/widefield-flaming-star-and-spaghetti-nebulae/

A cooled cam with better response would improve things, but it's very faint and I'd expect days of exposure would be needed to get anything approaching the contrast above...!

31 minutes ago, coatesg said:

I have just detected it before in 6.5hrs of exposure using a modded 350d and a 85mm lens at ISO400, f4 : https://www.chromosphere.co.uk/2017/12/18/widefield-flaming-star-and-spaghetti-nebulae/

A cooled cam with better response would improve things, but it's very faint and I'd expect days of exposure would be needed to get anything approaching the contrast above...!

Thanks Graeme.  I laid your image side by side one I recently took, and I can now just make out the spaghetti nebula.  I've not way of adding H-alpha to the image train without reducing the aperture too much

Thanks for the comments, sounds like this one is a bit more successful than I thought. While the Veil is spectacular 147 looks more like the aftermath of an explosion.

19 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I recently was imaging Auriga and tried to frame this via the viewfinder on my DSLR, working from the tadpoles, but I wasn’t just quite in the right place that I see yours.

I kept overshooting and hitting either the Flaming Star or Monkey Head on either side. But once I had it in view I could just see it in a 30 second framing shot, so I was able to nudge it into the centre. I checked against some deep images to make sure I wasn't cutting anything off, I couldn't see the fainter extensions.

18 hours ago, Seanelly said:

I'd be interested to hear an answer to your 'material' question, but either way, this image is vibrant and captivating.

Thinking about it some more, I suspect the supernova would have swept up any precursor eruptions by now, it's had 40,000 years to catch up. There is a lot of faint Ha extended signal in the area. But I really don't know.

6 hours ago, Vixen4eva said:

I assume your using a 12nm Ha filter? I`d love to see a sub if i could see one?

Yes, the 12nm clip-in. I'll try and post up a single sub when I get the chance, but feel free to PM me if I forget.

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Could this be done in normal colour or is it too faint?

You'd get something in RGB but probably no more than the brighter filaments. I recently imaged the Rosette and Cone in RGB and Ha and the difference was striking. I didn't get much of the outer extensions of the Cone region in RGB and 147 appears to be of similar brightness or a bit fainter. (There is an all-sky H-Alpha map in WWT, which is useful for this kind of comparison.)

Archived