SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to solar viewing

RiponJas

Hi all.. 

I'm new to solar viewing after just purchasing myself an Altair Herschel wedge,  read a lot of literature and am now confused by what I need to see anything of interest. 

So I'll ask you regular viewers, what else should I be using to get good viewing.. 

I'm using a 6" frac for most of the time with a range of eps. 

Any help or advice that isn't too technical would be appreciated. 

Cheers

Jas

The main issue is how quiet the sun is currently, so to a degree it is a case of waiting for something interesting to arrive.

Rusted has just posted up that there is a spot visible on the limb today, so have a look and see if you can get it.

Hi Jas

The Baader Solar Continuum filters [apple green] are pricey but do help to increase contrast on the solar disk in White Light.
I wouldn't be without mine now [a 1.25"] but only bought it for testing objective lenses. It is finally earning its keep on the sun.

I hope you are using an ND3 [neutral density] filter in your prism? And preferably a UV/IR blocking filter for extra insurance.
Then there's the rotatable polarizing filter to allow you to adjust the brightness to taste. :cool2:

The ND3 is the absolutely vital one to use with any Herschel prism. The rest can be added to taste and pocket.

Have a look around the entire solar limb [edge] after getting a sharp focus with a low power eyepiece. [say 40-50x?]
There is a nice, dark, oval spot just arriving around the curve of the sun's disk. It should fill out as it becomes more face on.

The new spot will be on the east side of the disk [at about 9.00 on the clock dial] but this will depend on your image orientation as you see it at the eyepiece.
The prism may invert and reverse the sun from left to right if the prism is "upright."
Any other angle if the prism is turned more sideways for comfortable viewing.
Find a black foam camping mattress and cut out a sun shield to protect your face when viewing.
I fit mine over the focuser bases but my solar scopes are both home made.

Don't forget to cover your finder! Or you'll set fire to your clothing like somebody I know! ?

Cheers for your replies. Yes, using ND filter, comes with one as standard. 

Will have a look at the solar continuum filters shortly. 

Been too cloudy or hazy today to see anything. No change there as of late here!! 

Jas

Archived