Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Final Weeks to See The Sacred Hoop (Winter Circle)!

Final weeks to see The Sacred Hoop asterism (a.k.a. The Winter Circle) as seen by the indigenous Lakota people of the United States before it fades into the evening twilight. This is a composite of two images I took because the area is so wide! It's roughly the shape of a hoop and when the moon or planets cross this region it's considered a sign of good things to come. As you can see in the lower right, Mars has just entered the hoop and will continue its eastward motion there for several more weeks. The moon will cross the hoop between April 8-13. Watch out for these events and may all good things come to you all!

1105743124_ASTRONOMY-WINTERCIRCLELAKOTA4-02-19ACAPTIONFIXSM.thumb.jpg.d94d77d4af9b51c0ea4faa3e238c5497.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

Thanks, Richard. Yes, it takes up LOTS of celestial real estate! It took a composite of two images to get it all in (my max wide lens is 50mm). From Sirius to Capella is a whopping 65 degrees alone. Sometimes, I like to just sit back in my lounge chair and marvel at it. ?

Clear skies,

Reggie

That is by far the biggest hoop I've come across.

I suspect there must be at least one legend of someone who managed to shoot an arrow through it. 

Good shots and stitch job!

Archived