best way to image moon with 580mm scope and 414ex ccd in rgb

iwols

hi been used to guiding and sgp for deep sky imaging but wondered whats the best way to image the moon without guiding and using a 580mm scope and 414 ex ccd,which software would you use and do you use guiding?

Hi there,  

I think your normal method of guiding will be fine so long as you can target a star far enough away from the glare of the Moon. I use a side by side losmandy bar and have one of these fine adjust alt-az adapter bracket thingies.

As you said in another thread, the exposures are probably going to be at the 1ms mark, which is the smallest the 414ex will go, and the Moon aint going to move that much in that time interval.

I centred the disc and blatted away for 20 or so exposures, recentered and went again.  

You will need a 4x or 5x barlow/powermate to improve the image scale. Guiding won't be needed due to the short exposure times, just set the mounts tracking rate to lunar. Use EQMosaic or MoonPanoramaMaker to control the mount. Using those will ensure that you don't miss any bits.

Here is my single image of the moon from earlier in the week.

I used Artemis software and set the exposure to 0.01s.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/332435-moon-17-march-2019/

No barlows used.

If I imaged longer exposure, I would get steaks at the top and bottom of the moon. From the edge of the image, as wide as the moon and to the opposite edge. So I had to keep it short exposure. In processing, I didn't have to use Histogram etc. Image looked ok. Just slight use of curves for contrast.

Good luck :)

Archived