SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Waxing Gibous 12.5 Days Old

I wanted to try and get a bit more resolution so I took this with my 16” Dob on the Equatorial Platform. A stack of about 100 at ISO100 1/350 over the 18th/19th March 19.

The moon is 93% lit, the bright right hand side contrasting with the creeping shade on the left. 

8493078A-B9CF-4880-82B3-0FEB75BEC8C4.thumb.png.443a421d81f1757a5f1893571c22b659.png

It wasn’t until I actually clicked on your image that I could see how crisp it was. I am relatively new to astronomy, and have been bitten hard with the call to DSO photography. But if ever forget how majestic the moon is (highlighted perfectly by your image) then I have lost everything.

Pretty sure it’s not your problem. There isa distinct difference between the picture on your post and the picture you see when you select the image on it’s own.

Well on your way to a personalised mug I would say..... Unless I can beat you to it. Saying that I have a 130 newt and a Sony cyber shot!!!

How is that 16 inch Sumerian? One day in the not to distant future I will join the big dob club.

8 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Pretty sure it’s not your problem. There isa distinct difference between the picture on your post and the picture you see when you select the image on it’s own.

Well on your way to a personalised mug I would say..... Unless I can beat you to it. Saying that I have a 130 newt and a Sony cyber shot!!!

How is that 16 inch Sumerian? One day in the not to distant future I will join the big dob club.

Thanks again :) I’m very fond of The Sumerian but I haven’t used it very often lately. It’s odd that I set it up specifically to image the moon. :) It has an excellent mirror OO 10th wave, and is very compact and portable so I get great views with it. As the footprint isn’t too large for a 16” I can just fit it on the EQ Platform, without which I wouldn’t have been able to take enough to stack.

To take the image my Canon was attached to my Paracorr which then slots into the focuser. It adds 15% to the focal length so meant I was imaging at F5.175 instead of F4.5.

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I only ask as I am close to finishing a barn conversion and my wife has no idea that we are going to be downsizing to fund an obsy and all the kit.

I can’t remember exactly, mine is a Canopus and was made to order. It depends on the fittings, mirror, focuser, encoders etc.

https://www.sumerianoptics.com/prices

Archived