NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Website for homemade nexstar wedge?

jonnydreads

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you can take planetary and short deep-sky exposures without using a wedge (done it) and the mount is not suitable for long exposures IMHO.  The mount will also be unbalanced if tilted.

32 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you can take planetary and short deep-sky exposures without using a wedge (done it) and the mount is not suitable for long exposures IMHO.  The mount will also be unbalanced if tilted.

My view of the sky is north- northeast, I'm finding star trails after more than 20 seconds. But west or east i can do up to 45 secs, I figured if I got a wedge I could try up to 60 secs?

I've started to make my own wedge hopefully it will be done tomorrow....

If anyone from the UK wants to build one the bolt sizes needed for the mount and scope are imperial threads because it is built in the USA.

You will need x3 bolts @ 3/8"s UNC (which means the thread is corse and not fine)

And x3 bolts @ 5/16"s UNC

Both at 1 and a half inch long!

May save someone some hassle if you are thinking of making one 

Well done.

Polar alignment. The telescope or camera mounted should be at at what has been your prior pre turn on point of level and facing north should now be the new level of the wedge and pointing at Polaris without any fiddling of angle as your wedge should be bang on. (That would be my position is using a skywatcher altaz with this wedge capability).

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I would use just a camera and lens on the wedge to put least strain on the mount motors.

Do you mean you wouldn't mount the OTA? I would have thought the motors would now have less strain on them? 

Yes, it's fine, it even says in the manual to use a wedge for longer exposures... not polar aligned before but it hopefully shouldnt be too hard hopefully. Something else to learn!! last 3 months have been intense in regards to getting information in my head 

Neat little piece of work.

What I have seen on some is a screw thread alt adjuster between the base and the hinged mounting plate to allow accurate adjustment.  Or perhaps you already have one and it just isn't visible in the photos.

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Neat little piece of work.

What I have seen on some is a screw thread alt adjuster between the base and the hinged mounting plate to allow accurate adjustment.  Or perhaps you already have one and it just isn't visible in the photos.

James

Yes Ive seen them too. I will fit one I think depending how hard this polar alignment is... 

Depending on how accurate you want to make it, I think it will probably make life easier.  But you might as well try without if the opportunity arises.  No point doing work there's no need for, after all :)

James

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Depending on how accurate you want to make it, I think it will probably make life easier.  But you might as well try without if the opportunity arises.  No point doing work there's no need for, after all :)

James

Yes I like that idea ?

Archived