NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SECONDHAND CANON EOS 40D DSLR CAMERA

hi i have just bought a second hand canon eos 400d and would it be worth taking the ir filter out of it or just keep it as it is is there another way of using it for astrophotography or not thanks in advance stephen

If you intend also intend to use  for daytime photography as well then you need to leave the filter in. 

But if you only intend to use for astrophotography then again probably depends on what you intend to image. 

People with far more experience than myself will add more information but for sure it is not necessary to remove the filter to get good images of most DSLRs so if you have just bought it I would use it as it is at least for now.

What scope will you be using it with, will you be guiding and what do you want to image ?

Steve

If you remove the LPF#2 Filter but leave in the LPF#1 to cut out IR, you will get improved Ha response on Nebulae.

Daytime results will have a red caste that can be removed if you have basic PhotoShop etc skills.

A Custom White Balance helps but doesn't totally fix the red caste.

Michael

Archived