NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope on ebay

I dont know much about the Sebens scope, but unless its really pants, £120 looks pretty good to me.

I bought this mount for £75 for a small refractor and I love it. Its no good for deep sky imaging as its an Alt AZ mount, but i love the goto.

Overall £120 seems fair to me, though not much higher. *shugs*

my 2cents.

Hm, the SLT have a reputation for being a low cost GOTO mount for lightweight scopes that'll do the job. The Seben kit on the otherhand doesn't have such a good reputation and IMO that scope is too big for that mount, I certainly wouldn't put a 6" reflector on one. Personally, I'd steer clear and look for something else.

Tony..

What about a Meade ETX 70 AT Goto Telescope PLUS ACCESSORIES? - Ebay #250318987643

70mm is just too little aperture for astronomy IMHO - you would soon get frustrated by the lack of light grasp and detail resolution. Despite the tempting prices on E.Bay it is not a good place to buy astro equipment unless you know exactly what you are looking for. 90% of the stuff on there is not a good buy - again thats just my opinion.

John

70mm is just too little aperture for astronomy IMHO - you would soon get frustrated by the lack of light grasp and detail resolution. Despite the tempting prices on E.Bay it is not a good place to buy astro equipment unless you know exactly what you are looking for. 90% of the stuff on there is not a good buy - again thats just my opinion.

John

Yes, good advice. Invest a modest amount more and you could get a decent 6" reflector on a dob. That is if you're willing to spend a bit of time looking for things. ..A good book goes a long way (and far more rewarding) toward completing the "physical goto".

*edit* as I was typing this Ian replied. Enough said! :thumbright:

*edit#2* Good luck with the photography. It's on my list of things to do eventually, but according to "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" an investment of well over $1000 is required for a modest setup. Surely there are others here that could dispute that, though.

I know you guys are not keen on cheap goto's but what aboutMEADE DS 2090 AT-TC 90mm SELF GUIDED AUTOSTAR TELESCOPE

I have a small budget but am looking for something with a very minimum of tracking an object but i would prefer a goto if i could get it. I have at the most £200 to spend, I'd prefer to buy a slightly cheaper scope and have enough left for an SLR camera adaptor. Hence why i'm looking at ebay to get a good scope for a smaller price.

I afraid if you want to get goto for under £200 you are going to have to compramise on the scope :hello2:

IMO as its the scope you look through this isnt where you should cut corners.

The question as always comes down to what you are planning on looking at.

This one to get a larger mirror (but no motors)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=150eq32

Or

This one that has motors (but a smaller mirror)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW130PSupaTrakAUTO

This is why you will see alot of people have more than one scope , its not to show off , but its because they are used to observe different targets.

I know you guys are not keen on cheap goto's but what aboutMEADE DS 2090 AT-TC 90mm SELF GUIDED AUTOSTAR TELESCOPE

I have a small budget but am looking for something with a very minimum of tracking an object but i would prefer a goto if i could get it. I have at the most £200 to spend, I'd prefer to buy a slightly cheaper scope and have enough left for an SLR camera adaptor. Hence why i'm looking at ebay to get a good scope for a smaller price.

Still, for long exposure photography you're going to need to include a wedge too. Planets and the Moon'll still be good without a wedge though, as will short-exposure shiz.

Under £200 I'd expect most of the money is going into the computer bits, rather than the scope and optics.

With eBay, getting a good scope for a cheap price - that is true if you know what you're looking for. Otherwise you're only goiing to get the latter, a cheap price rather than good.

HTH

Kurt

If you really are limited to £200, the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO would get my vote too. Ok, it's not a GOTO, but it will give a fairly decent amount of light grasping performane for the money and can track objects. For £250 you could get the newer GOTO version.

Sounds like a plan to me. Make a Christmas present to yourself and get the GOTO version. You could tell the g/f that Santa brought it for you, or that you got it in the sales, or grow a pair of balls and just tell her it was what you wanted! :hello2:

Archived