NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Missing items?

I have received my AD 12" Dob and this thing is freaking massive! And here I thought I was going to take it backpacking o boy was I wrong lol. I've picked up a few misc items as well a cover, replacement collimation knobs, an ES 2x 1.25 Barlow and an Orion T-ring. I'm wondering if I'm still missing things that I need or would be recommended to get fairly quick for optimum viewings. I did notice that I'm unable to attach the Canon EOS Rebel XS camera to the scope, I believe because I do not have a 'Camera adapter'.

I've looked at a few I think or thought would work adapter and adapter . I did talk with HPS support and they had recommended I purchase this MPCC (before calling I didn't think about coma issues), is this MPCC better'? Or is another brand/setup superior?

Is there a protective solution/case available for this massive scope? I was looking at this Orion caset but not 100% sure at this time whether or not it'd work or not.

Should I return the 1.25 Barlow and get the 2" version of it, since it clearly won't work with my 2" EP that came with the scope? Kinda assuming I could use the 2" version with 1.25 EP's with a reducer? Or would like need a Barlow of each size?

Recommendations for software processing and non-processing whatever it may be? I did get a humble bundle of the below. I'd image that the ACDSee, Aurora HDR, Paintshop Pro, and CameraBag would be most useful for processing, but don't know and don't have a clue how to use'em yet which I'll learn when I got some pictures.

PhotoMirage
Photolemur 2
Corel Paintshop Pro 2019
CameraBag Pro
Imerge Pro
ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018
Aurora HDR 2018

Feedback is much appreciated and welcome

Jonathan

1 hour ago, jsloan117 said:

Should I return the 1.25 Barlow and get the 2" version of it, since it clearly won't work with my 2" EP that came with the scope? Kinda assuming I could use the 2" version with 1.25 EP's with a reducer? Or would like need a Barlow of each size?

No, you don't need a 2" Barlow. If you need more magnification, buy higher powered eyepieces in the 1.25" format as needed.   Keep the 1.25" Barlow and use it to extend the magnification of the 1.25" eyepieces as required.

You don't mention extra eyepieces. I suggest you try the scope and then buy what you think you need (after asking advice here). 

I would not sweat it about attaching a camera to this scope. You should be able to track down a suitable adapter, but it is possible that you will have difficulty in getting it to focus.  An un-powered Dob is not very suitable for astro-photography, and if you are serious about astrophotography, you would be advised to get an entirely different design of scope and mounting.

2 hours ago, jsloan117 said:

Is there a protective solution/case available for this massive scope? I was looking at this Orion case, but not 100% sure at this time whether or not it'd work or not.

My impression is that Dob users mostly don't bother with a case like this and put the OTA directly into their vehicle.

Welcome to Stargazer's Lounge.

I agree with Geoff. The focal extender (better than a barlow) that you have bought is very good and you should keep it. I know from experience as I have the old Meade branded version. 2" barlows are big and heavy, as are 2" eyepieces so you are better off buying mid power 1.25" eyepieces and using the extender for high power.

You mention both camera adapters and processing software, but a manual dobsonian is a visual only scope. Your best bet for photography is probably holding your phone up to the eyepiece (or using a phone adaptor), but this only works for the brightest objects.

If you really wanted to do astrophotography not visual astronomy then your best course of action wold be to immediately return this telescope and buy something else. DSO photography requires the opposite of this, a massive powered EQ mount and a small(er) telescope, while planetary is more in between.

3 hours ago, jsloan117 said:

Should I return the 1.25 Barlow and get the 2" version of it, since it clearly won't work with my 2" EP that came with the scope?

Hi Jonathan, no, you do not need a 2" Barlow as 2" ep's tend to be low power widefields and using a Barlow with it tends to defeat the object of using a low power widefield.  1.25" ep's are more suited to high power anyway.  I've tried a 32mm with a 2" Barlow and it just didn't work so I sold the 2" Barlow.  Good luck with your new 'backpacking' scope!?

4 hours ago, jsloan117 said:

I thought I was going to take it backpacking

I guess 'size' didn't factor into your pre-purchase research LOL, I've got an 8" and I couldn't even hike with that!!!  Good luck with your new scope.

Archived