Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ3 tripod with an AZ5 head

GKA

Anyone tried this?

I have an AZ3 mount which i got together with my startravel 120 , but i have since bought a better mount , an NEQ5 from sky-watcher.

I dismanteled the AZ3 head and it's only connected with a screw up in the middle,  smilar to the AZ5, i think a small modification , if any , is all that it would take , but not quite sure.

I was thinking of using it on a smaller 90500 scope if possible 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi GKA - I've not fitted the AZ5 head to an AZ3 tripod... but it should be possible. 

It's been a little while since I've done it, but I did take my AZ3 to bits in order to clean it up and regrease it. From what I can remember the top of the tripod (once hear is removed) is just a flat black plate with a hole in the middle. I would imagine that a 3/8" x 1" bolt/screw and some washers would allow the AZ5 to be fitted to an AZ3 tripod. 

I'm not sure if the extension tube bottom can come off - I'll try and remember to have a look when I get home. 

I currently have my AZ5 head attached to an AZ4 steel leg tripod - but this required the alignment peg to be chopped off. I don't think this would be needed for the AZ3. 

The AZ-3 has a rather specific tripod mounting arrangement unlike any other Skywatcher tripod. The AZ-4 will fit onto any EQ3-2 / CG4 / EQ5 / CG5 / HEQ5 tripod using an M10 bolt but the AZ-3 is quite different. The best that I managed with the AZ-3 was to replace the tripod legs (but keeping the AZ-3 hub) with legs from a TAL wooden tripod.

Archived