OK, What's this ?

Miguel1983

Hi,

Last evening i did a short session on M45 as it's shifting towards the west witch is not the best direction for me.

Anyway, as i was checking my frames i noticed something on one of them, three stars seemed to appear out of nothing.

This is strange i think, a satellite or plane would leave a streak no ?

Check it out, these are two 5min subs

1579767449_Frame2.thumb.jpg.0cd4211be800eba8399c518d1f368dab.jpg

797076630_Frame1.1.thumb.jpg.12eec7b71a252cc439eeeb75f735ae05.jpg

Anyone ?

• Mr Spock changed the title to OK, What's this ?

No, globalstar satellites (and satellites more in general) typically do not blink. I'm pretty sure that a Globalstar would appear as a straight line. 

A single axis satellite could appear to blink due to its rotation and reflect the sun towards your direction only at specific angles, but globalstar are three axis stabilised , so this isn't the case. 

Some sats embark laser retroreflectors, to send back to Earth a laser radiation pointed towards them, but you need to be very close to the Earth station to receive it, and i don't know if this would appear in a photo... You would probably rather see the upgoing beam, which isn't the case. 

Maybe a rotating debris? Like a launcher second stage or part of a fairing? 

Fabio

Some satellites do flash, have observed several while imaging, the longest set was 11 flashes.

Some Globalstars do flash as they are out of control.

Have just run the sats with new keps on my office laptop here at work and this sat does'nt show now, going to investigate
why two laptops show different things.

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Some satellites do flash, have observed several while imaging, the longest set was 11 flashes.

Some Globalstars do flash as they are out of control.

Well, yes... I was referring to OPERATIONAL satellites clearly! ? ? ? 

Archived