DIY dew heater

If it gets comfortably warm when you hold it in your hand, it won't be too warm when on a scope. The heater only as to be warm enough to prevent dew, not to evaporate it. Obviously a large scope needs a more powerful one than a small scope.

If you are building your own controller, make sure that you use a PWM type which reduces the power consumption while delivering similar heat. I use resistors in paralel to provide the heat. They are virtually free!

Paul

29 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

If you are building your own controller, make sure that you use a PWM type which reduces the power consumption while delivering similar heat. I use resistors in paralel to provide the heat. They are virtually free!

Paul

i went with nichrome wire and masking tape, 10m of wire was only £3 on ebay. got enough to make heat pad to keep under my telescope cover to keep it dry. 

Hitecastro do a 4 channel dew  controller which I use myself. 
There is a heat control for each output . A control knob for each one allows you to heat the dew strap to the temp
you want. You can also ake your own straps too, using Nichrome  wire. the wire comes  in differing resistance,  per foot
so you can workout how much current will  flow  from a 12 volt supply using Ohms Law. You can set a maximum limit, which can be reduced  by the controller  knobs
Bit of a Faff I know, that's why most folks buy ready made.

Ron.

Just now, barkis said:

Hitecastro do a 4 channel dew  controller which I use myself. 
There is a heat control for each output . A control knob for each one allows you to heat the dew strap to the temp
you want. You can also ake your own straps too, using Nichrome  wire. the wire comes  in differing resistance,  per foot
so you can workout how much current will  flow  from a 12 volt supply using Ohms Law. You can set a maximum limit, which can be reduced  by the controller  knobs
Bit of a Faff I know, that's why most folks buy ready made.

Ron.

made a couple of nichrome wire/masking tape bands yesterday. need to pick up some supple silicone wire tomorrow, will run them unregulated at first and then build a controller later. 

Archived