Before the "Snow moon".

cotterless45

A short session before the Moon glow got going. This time it was the "snow Moon", big bright and silvery as SWMBO pointed out .

Very surprised to get a lovely unfiltered view of NGC 2440, a bright +9.3 planetary Nebula in Puppis. Discovered by Herschel , it bears the hottest central white dwarf. Continuing with obscure a lucky view pulled out by averted vision of 15 Hydrae . The B companion giving a 1.2" split with two further faint companions. Staying in Hydra and a great view of M48.

Two further challenges in Gemini , Σ1037 and Σ1081. Looking at the Trapezium , the E star was quite obvious , but no sign of the F . Probably as Orion rested on the town lights. We've got led streetlights, the glow is pretty fierce , but doesn't give that horrible orange glow.

Just a few clusters worth observing ,M46, M47 , M50 and the compact NGC 2420. Lovely early session with the yard cannon ,under ,

Clear skies ! Nick.IMG_6733.thumb.JPG.60614e5216e4b9d889b2148f638285b2.JPGIMG_6732.thumb.JPG.e3b004c1d8f5a4b01a9d8dbe2d25cc34.JPG

Good one Nick. I didn't know about NGC2440 or its white dwarf star so thanks for that. It's always nice to have something with a point of interest to find and mention to others. I shall have to see if I can find them sometime.  Fingers crossed!

Good to see you got in a decent session and nice sketch of NGC 2440.  SkySafari gives the central star as mag 14.3 - it would be interesting to see if this is visible a dob.  I just realised that NGC 2440 is also on the Herschel 400 list which I was progressing through nicely until my prolonged break from all astro stuff for the past year or so - so it will definitely be on my target list for the next session! 

Archived