Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi help please

Kai

Hi Steve here's a little bit of info I have

Most Takahashi mounts have the Takahashi "Puck" format on the base, which fits into a round depression with 2x M8 holes spaced 35mm apart in the centre. Is this on the base of your clamshell? If so there may be options.

Depending on your OTA and mount combo, you may find you need the "Takahashi to Losmandy" adapter puck. (In fact I happen to have one lying around I don't need so pm me if you want it :D )

This will let you fit Tak format to a flat surface like that found on the top of the Losmandy G11 plus it has the Losmany bolt pattern so mates directly to the G8/11 mount head...

Now if you have another mount like the ubiquitous EQ6 then I would deffo check out the weight side of things first depending on your Tak OTA. INHMO Synta format just isn't beefy enough and it isn't wide enought for the Tak base.

I got Losmandy format plates with my Mewlon 250 because I wasn't comfortable with anything smaller, but if you have a small refractor you may be OK. If you have a TOA130 then don't bother with the Synta format (INMHO).

Some Losmandy plates actually have the Takahashi pattern too (I do not know which but to save hassle it might be worth checking with Ninian Boyle at Venturescope who has a lot of Losmandy stuff including their Universal dovetail plate.) If that doesn't work I'd recomend getting one drilled to pattern.

The good news is that for grab 'n go, your Tak clamshell "male" base will fit the new version Ayo Alt Az, the new Astro Tech Voyager, and most of the larger Giro series mounts from Tele-Optik. They usually all have the 35mm spaced M8 pattern already.

Nick

Looking at a baby Tak frac , dual mounted on the eq5pro . Weight will not be a issue as at the moment i mount a 8 inch sct.Failing the clamshell not being able to be adapted , i will use the scope in Adm guidescope rings.

Cheers for the info :D

Hi Steve,

Just checked what I bought. If you look on http://www.trutek-uk.com/pricelists/takoct08pl.pdf for TKA31420 (cradle) and TKP71423 (dovetail) they are what Nick provided for me.

The OTA sits in the cradle and the dovetail just bolts onto the cradle and fits onto the EQ6 like any other Vixen style dovetail. The cradle is expensive but works beautifully.

Would you like me to bring it along on Sunday?

Mike

So it looks like using guidescope rings will be a safer option then.either that or find out the diameter of the tube and see if i can get some cnc rings that will fit.I really do not want to bodge anything on any of my scopes :D

I think that the Sky 90 has a 94mm tube diameter.

With my Tak TSA-102, I simply drilled two holes in a Synta/Skywatcher dovetail bar and bolted it to the clamshell. No damage is done to the Tak mount. Still works fine after 2 years of use. I could get a set of CNC rings, but they were going to cost £125.

Archived