Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mini PC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/02/2019 at 17:21, festoon said:

How did you use the 12V LiFPo battery? Just looking at amazon for it, does it not require a 19V input voltage?

I have used a 5i5RYH i5 NUC at scope. It was designed to use 12 volts and performed very well at this voltage. Other NUC-s need 19 volts. Check specs before buying.

Christer, Sweden

• 3 weeks later...

Don't Jump To Conclusions

So, I bought a Kodlix GN41 with a SanDisk Ultra 3D 500GB SSD. Arrived late February and I then spent nearly two weeks setting up all the astrophotography software I needed. The computer will be fixed to my OTA and will run - well, everything. It seemed to be a nice little unit, well made and the Windows 10 Pro set-up was a doddle with Serena telling me what to do at each stage. I got all the software installed and configured as I wanted. For once I managed to get Microsoft Remote Desktop working fairly easily and the last thing to do was set up Wake on LAN. I couldn't get this to work and a bit of internet research suggested checking whether WOL was enabled in the BIOS. According to Kodlix, pressing the Del key during start-up gets you into the bios.

So, power down, power up and press Del. Nothing, nada, zip, sweet FA! I've managed to brick it! Tried everything I could think of but nothing worked. So, good ol' Amazon's return policy is nice and straight forward. Took out the SSD, repackaged the computer and stuck on the return label. I also took a bold (foolish?) decision and ordered a replacement - as far as I can tell Amazon don't offer the option of a replacement, you have to return and re-order a new one. I went to bed disheartened but determined to persevere.

This morning I reconnected my now spare monitor to my desktop to act as a second screen. Guess what? Nothing, nada, zip, sweet FA! Yep! It was a monitor failure. Hastily tore off the return label and opened up the box with the Kodlix in. Reconnected with a different monitor and yes - working perfectly. Powered down, powered up and pressed Del - up came the AMI bios screen. Checked and found WOL was set to disabled. Enabled it, save and exit. Tried it and yippeee - it worked! This is the first time I have ever managed to set up WOL without having to get some paid-for help!

So, my apologies to Mr Kodlix for some very unkind thoughts I may have had. Some of them may even have been said aloud. There is an obvious moral to this tale - as set out right at the beginning. For me, as soon as I have finished writing out 100 lines of 'Think before you act and don't jump to conclusions' I will be back to setting up my new ZWO OAG which was the whole reason for getting a new computer.

Regards,

A Wiser Hugh

Archived