NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

parabolic mirrors

Just curious really, but is there any real significant difference between observations  using a Skywatcher  reflector and a Celestron of the same size.  A dealers catalogue of Skywatcher scopes  invariably states that the primary mirrors are parabolic.  The technical descriptions of the Celestron scopes does not mention this..........although it may well be a fact.       I have to say that my own use and regard for my Celestron is without any criticism at all. 

Pete

Many Celestron scopes are made by the same manufacturer as Skywatcher ones today so I would be surprised if a Celestron branded one that was otherwise identical to a Skywatcher one (eg: the 150mm F/5 and 200mm F/5 newtonians) did not also have a parabolic primary mirror. Not so sure about the smaller Celestron newtonians though. With newtonians a spherical primary figure can work if the focal ratio is F/7 or slower but I think a non-parabolic F/6 or F/6, with not other correction in the optical train, would be rather unsatisfactory.

It's probably a good  general policy to assume that if a particular spec is not mentioned, that it does not feature in the design. The brands are usually very quick to promote what they see as the positive features so if something is not mentioned, it's probably not there.

You would probably need to directly ask the question if it's not clear in the advertised spec to get clarity.

While mirrors for the various telescope manufacturers may come from a common source it's the specs the mirrors are made to that makes the difference. Orion UK make their own mirrors and you can specify what level of figuring you want, so telescope makers will specify a tolerance for optics supplied to them...

Archived