Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher GPS Mouse - Strange problems

AdeKing

I've just received a used Skywatcher GPS mouse to use with a v3 handset and my AZGti mount as I have loads of issues with the WiFi disconnecting. 

If I power up the v3 handset directly from a power supply with the GPS plugged in then the handset recognises the GPS and obtains a fix as it should.  

However, if I connect the handset to the AZGti and turn the power on, the handset will not recognise the GPS. I have also tried plugging the GPS in when the mount is powered up with no luck and have done and have pressed the escape key to get me back to the initialising message but again no joy. 

The handset is on firmware v03.39.03 which is newer than the v3.32 that the user manual states is a requirement. 

Plugging the GPS into a v4 handset doesn't always work if its plugged in at power up but if the GPS is unplugged and then plugged back in the GPS is recognised without fail. 

The GPS mouse is obviously not faulty but I cannot work out why it stops working when the handset is plugged in to an AZGti. 

My testing was done using a Tracer 12v 10ah battery. 

I haven't tried it with a bench power supply, does this sound like a power supply issue? 

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. 

Ade

I can't really help Ade, other than to say the my GPS mouse works fine with my V4 handset. I suspect it is more to do with the handset firmware than power supply.

Is there an update to the AZGTi firmware that you could try aswell?

Well, it seems to be a problem with the combination of GPS Mouse, Handset and AZGTi, which is frustrating.

The GPS Mouse works correctly with a v3 handset if only the GPS mouse is connected.  It also works correctly with a v4 handset and EQ5 mount.

I've updated the AZGti, v3 and v4 handsets to the very latest firmware versions, but the combination still won't work correctly.

I think that I may send a support request to Skywatcher to see what comes of it.

I've done some limited testing and I think that is is a power issue causing the problems. 

I can't find my multimeter to check voltages, but I've previously tried using the GPS mouse with a Tracer 12v 10Ah battery and also a Maplin 13.8v ( XM21X) regulated power supply without success. 

However, this afternoon I tried connecting to a 13.2v NiMH battery pack, which I'm guessing kicks out more than 13.2v when fully charged, and when this was connected the v3 handset recognised the GPS every time. 

I just need to find my multimeter to check the various voltages to be sure. 

Nice one Ade, just shows how completely wrong I was ???

Sometimes these things are not totally logical, but it's true that PS issues often caused problem. Glad you seem to be getting to the bottom of it.

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice one Ade, just shows how completely wrong I was ???

Sometimes these things are not totally logical, but it's true that PS issues often caused problem. Glad you seem to be getting to the bottom of it.

You might still be right Stu, I'm just guessing that the 13.2v battery kicks out quite a bit more than that when charged. 

I also don't think that the RJ11 plug is a particularly snug fit so that may also be contributing. 

I'll know more when I can find where I left my Multimeter and can read some voltages. 

Archived