Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ-GTi or Star Discovery

rhw1967

Afternoon all.

Hope everyone has had a great week and looking forward to the weekend.

I have recently got an EVOSTAR 80ED for a little portability, and am looking for a simple GOTO mount that's pick up and go, and simple. Am an observer rather than a imager.

Choices for mount are the AZ-GTi or the SW Star Discovery - both of these mounts seem incredibly similar, both with freedom find (love that), WIFI, etc. Has anyone used either (or both) of these and which would you recommend ? Does one have an advantage over the other or perform better?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers

Richard

I have the ED 80 and the AZ GTi as my grab and go for outreach. It works fine for that but the tripod extension tube is a must have although you can limit the altitude range via the SynScan App if you prefer. I use my DeWalt cordless drill battery as power supply and it lasts all evening no problem.

I have an Equinox 80ED and use it on an AZ GTi mount.

The default tripod and extension tube for the AZ GTi is, in my opinion, rubbish.

SkyWatcher now do a 1.75 inch steel tube tripod with a 3/8 fixing on the top instead of the usual M10. That would be a much better choice as it is more stable.

Tony

Thanks guys.

I actually have a SW stainless steel 1.75 tripod and the SW 16" extension pillar that I use with my SkyTee II with my larger APO. Wondering if they would work with the AZ-GTi (they are for fitting to EQ5/HEQ5 mounts according to the description) :) 

It will work with an AZGti mount, but you will need to buy one of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html

The AZGti uses a standard 3/8 photo attachment, and the above adapter converts between the M10 connection on the tripod/extension pillar and the 3/8 photo connection.

This is in fact the solution I use and it works really well.

Tony

2 minutes ago, Star Struck said:

It will work with an AZGti mount, but you will need to buy one of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html

The AZGti uses a standard 3/8 photo attachment, and the above adapter converts between the M10 connection on the tripod/extension pillar and the 3/8 photo connection.

This is in fact the solution I use and it works really well.

Tony

Brilliant Tony, thank you very much for that.

Had just messaged a retailer (not FLO) and they didn't offer this as an option at all, just said I'd need another Tripod.

That's perfect.

Much appreciated :) 

Richard

Archived