NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Considerate street lighting

MikeCM

An LED was put up at the top of my street recently with light spill into my garden affecting my astrophotography attempts. Contacted Fife Council Lighting department who replied promptly and have put in a work order to tilt the light in an attempt to help. I must say I am very impressed by their consideration and hopefully it will help things (alas not going to help improve my photography skills though ? ) Has anyone else had luck with their lighting departments?

Hi Pleased to hear that you were shown consideration. Different story with Nottingham County Council. The offending street light shone into my garden from  50 metres away like a search lite.. When this was reported. The council offered help by allocating a job no 3345 work to be carried out within 10 days. A shade to be installed. Nothing was ever done and job 3345 was never carried out. Again this reported nothing done. Eventually the street light was greyed out on the online map so no further complaint could be made...................Dave

On 08/02/2019 at 13:53, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Eventually the street light was greyed out on the online map so no further complaint could be made

Write a "newspaper" article detailing your experience, but from a third-party perspective. Add a spurious "representative of the local council said" comment along the lines of "who cares what one person thinks?". Use a DTP program to transform it into something that looks like it was in a newspaper (poor quality paper, low dpi fonts, etc) with bits around the edge so it looks like it has been torn out of a paper. Photocopy the result and send it to your council's CEO with just the comment "care to comment?" written on it.

Convincingly done, they could spend ages trying to find where it was printed, who the "representative" (who gave a quote to the press without permission) is, etc. You may even get your streetlight sorted ...

Yes, I know, I need to get a life ...

After complaining about the bright  street light shining through my window my council in Wales promptly replaced it with this not so bright light - notice the black pull down deflector which helps divert light to the ground.

Picture at bottom is original light fitting.

37276CFA-6309-48D6-BD86-5094D6259C71.jpeg

309844B3-F635-4AC7-A87E-2DAC512943CB.jpeg

26EBA743-C430-464E-8A31-84BCCB17FA27.jpeg

36 minutes ago, MikeCM said:

Did the shading do the trick with the light Jock ? 

Not a huge difference, biggest change was the replacement light unit - it seems half the brightness of the original.

The guy from the council who swapped the units over did mention the wattage differences but I cant remember...dughh!

Archived