Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TMB Optical APM 105/f6.2 LZOS APO

Just now, dannybgoode said:

This looks to be the field flattener I need. But oof, not cheap :(

http://apm-telescopes-englisch.shopgate.com/item/313338363834

The Riccardi one both the 1.0x FF and 0.75x FR are universally compatible with all the APM apo triplets. They are expensive.

If you're just starting with imaging (like me), you could go with the cheaper TS 2.5" FF/FR.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2646_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-Full-Frame-APO-Corrector---Flattener-for-astrophotography.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KP82 said:

The Riccardi one both the 1.0x FF and 0.75x FR are universally compatible with all the APM apo triplets. They are expensive.

If you're just starting with imaging (like me), you could go with the cheaper TS 2.5" FF/FR.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2646_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-Full-Frame-APO-Corrector---Flattener-for-astrophotography.html

Trouble is, the corrector becomes the weakest optical link then, albeit probably by a small margin ......

To get your moneys worth with these top end optics I think keeping top end down the whole chain is preferrable, if possible.

37 minutes ago, John said:

Trouble is, the corrector becomes the weakest optical link then, albeit probably by a small margin ......

To get your moneys worth with these top end optics I think keeping top end down the whole chain is preferrable, if possible.

That is exactly my thinking. I have just risked divorce in getting one of the finest optical instruments known to man (and woman) so for the sake of £80-90 I may as well go the whole hog. And the Riccardi has been specifically designed for the optic. 

Just checked with APM and they now have them on stock so will get it ordered before 29 March :D

Right decision made. I’m going to get the Riccardi 0.75 reducer/flattener. Will mean a have a pretty rounded visual scope and a fast Astrograph. As above - the Riccardi is specifically designed for APM/TMB triplets so may as well get the right tool for the job  

The 0.75 FR will be useful as my camera has a smaller chip so at around reduced FL of 465mm I’ll have a more useful FOV and the increased speed of f4.5ish will be welcome also. 

Just need to sell a few bits and bobs to reduce the dent I’ve put on the old card ?

4 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Right decision made. I’m going to get the Riccardi 0.75 reducer/flattener. Will mean a have a pretty rounded visual scope and a fast Astrograph. As above - the Riccardi is specifically designed for APM/TMB triplets so may as well get the right tool for the job  

The 0.75 FR will be useful as my camera has a smaller chip so at around reduced FL of 465mm I’ll have a more useful FOV and the increased speed of f4.5ish will be welcome also. 

Just need to sell a few bits and bobs to reduce the dent I’ve put on the old card ?

Great choice actually. I brought up the TS one thinking you were tight on the budget but still wanted to start imaging right away.

Hope you've already got a decent mount for the whole setup so you can start producing some lovely pictures.

2 hours ago, KP82 said:

Great choice actually. I brought up the TS one thinking you were tight on the budget but still wanted to start imaging right away.

Hope you've already got a decent mount for the whole setup so you can start producing some lovely pictures.

Oh the budget went out of the window with the scope. Was only going to get an SW 80ED or something!

And I appreciate you sharing the link - certainly a viable alternative. As for the mount I have an SW AZ EQ6 so at least adequate but no doubt at some point that’ll need upgrading but only if I get seriously into things  

Having done a bit of searching around, given my sensor size, I may just get away without one at all but the shorter FL would be nice. 

Hopefully the clouds will clear and I’ll get some data and some visual time in on it. Can’t wait!

5 hours ago, John said:

What mount are you going to use for imaging with the scope - at 10kg with some length I guess something pretty heavy duty ?

SW AZ EQ6GT. Rated payload for imaging is 18kg and I guess the camera, filter wheel and guidescope come in at around 2-2.5kg so I have a bit of headroom.

Also the scope it short so torque isn’t going to be so much of an issue. If it were 10kg and long I’d be less happy. 

Ultimately the mount will probably need an upgrade in all honesty but aligned, balanced and guided it should at least be acceptable. 

Archived