NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cities From Space

AstroNinja

Seen on Daily Mail website (not that I read it usually) but I think it shows our case for reducing light pollution

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1084777/The-Earth-night-Stunning-images-cities-light-globe.html

I just remember comments on their site regarding resistance to turning off streetlights ....

Any comments or views?

Lol not bein funny but england at night looks like a galaxy :D

If they did reduce light polution, It would be great! a big improvement and maybe more people will get into astronomy, i bet hardly anyone in london has ever seen a star in there life!

Lets hope it all goes through!!

Dave.

The current (November) National Geographic magazine has a feature (with a front cover picture) about light pollution and why we need darkness. It is quite amazing - finding the most up-to-date issue in a hospital waiting room, that is!

Allan

Saw what seemed like thousands as a kid growing up in the late fifties/early sixties. I have now moved out of the capital but still can't see as many stars as I did back then :help:

Back in the 1960s I could see Uranus* with naked eye from our back garden in commuter-belt Surrey (just 20 miles out from central London). Try that!

*Steps back and waits for the old cracks to fly... :D

The current (November) National Geographic magazine has a feature (with a front cover picture) about light pollution and why we need darkness. It is quite amazing - finding the most up-to-date issue in a hospital waiting room, that is!

Allan

I've got a subscription to it! :D

Archived