Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece recommendations

Cyclops

9 minutes ago, John said:

Actually a barlow might be a good idea to see how the higher power actually works for you and your scope. The other advantage with the barlow is that it actually moves the eye relief (how close your eye is to the top of the eyepiece) out a bit so your 9mm kellner should be a little easier to view though.

You can get the Skywatcher type 2x barlows for around £20 used which would at least let you dabble with higher magnifications without investing much. If it does not work out, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Not a perfect solution but better than nothing I reckon :icon_biggrin:

I'm thinking of this sort of deal:

https://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?_route_=2x-barlow-lenswith-box&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

Hmm thats got legs. Do we know what the posting charges are on that site?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Hmm thats got legs. Do we know what the posting charges are on that site?

I just went through the purchase process (without buying) and there was a free delivery option plus a speedy one for a couple of £'s more.

On a tight budget (which I do understand) there will always be compromises of course but at least you get a chance to play around with some higher magnifications with a low cost barlow. That one is achromatic which is better than some of the really cheap ones.

6 hours ago, John said:

Actually a barlow might be a good idea to see how the higher power actually works for you and your scope. The other advantage with the barlow is that it actually moves the eye relief (how close your eye is to the top of the eyepiece) out a bit so your 9mm kellner should be a little easier to view though.

You can get the Skywatcher type 2x barlows for around £20 used which would at least let you dabble with higher magnifications without investing much. If it does not work out, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

https://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?_route_=2x-barlow-lenswith-box&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

Or buy a new one from China for £8. 

EBay barlow

It takes a week or two to arrive but if money is tight it might be worth the wait. 

Similarly, the barlowed plossl type planetaries are also available (no experience on the quality of these though)

5mm

4mm

3 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Or buy a new one from China for £8. 

EBay barlow

It takes a week or two to arrive but if money is tight it might be worth the wait. 

Similarly, the barlowed plossl type planetaries are also available (no experience on the quality of these though)

5mm

4mm

Oh I don't do ebay anymore...

23 hours ago, John said:

Well I have ordered that Barlow, £15, free p&p. Thanks guys for your help!

Archived