NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting started imaging

GKA

Hi again , i would like to get started With imaging , but it's not as easy as i thought it Would be.

My original camera is a Olympus e-450 which isn't an ideal camera for this , so i bought a used Canon EOS 1000D (not modified) which should be ok.

I thought about eyepiece projection ,  but have not manage to get it right , tried a 10mm and 25mm eyepice , but no Luck.

Haven't used the Canon camera yet , as i haven't received my T adapter .

Would be Nice With some advices , so that i can make it work.

My Equipment:

-Skywatcher startravel 120

-This adapter :  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-1-25-Variable-Projection-DSLR-Camera-Adapter-Telescope-Eyepiece-Accessory-New/1063226978.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dD2sC5L

-And the above mentioned eyepieces.

But i Wonder , do i need this ?   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

All the best. GKA

Eyepiece projection is TRICKY.

What do you want to image? What mount are you on (AZ or EQ)?

I would avoid the reducer for this scope. It's an f/5 doublet and I suspect the reducer would not improve its imaging performance any (although I have no direct experience of it). However, I did spend my early AP years using a doublet on an AZ mount with a canon camera, and some decent results are definitely possible. I found that combination ideally suited to open clusters.

If AP is the direction you wish to go, I would suggest you purchase this book before anything else. It will save you time, money and heartache in the long run.

I read the book 2 times before starting imaging and on my third read through whilst putting it all in to practice. It’s brilliant

It’s not easy - so much to think about but so rewarding. I went through a stage of thinking what’s the point as there’s loads of images of most objects but the ones I’m taking are my images and my interpretation of the data. And that I’ve found out, makes it all worth it. 

Archived