NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 Bodes Galaxy

cuivenion

Scope: 200mm Super Takumar F4 M42 Lens (Stopped down to 5.4)

Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5

Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI224

Guiding: Altair Colour GPCAM on a Chinon 135mm lens

Software used was Sharpcap 3.2 for capture, PHD2 for guiding, DeepSkyStacker and Pixinsight for stacking and processing.

3 hours of 28 second subs

60 x darks

Autosave_clone.jpg.1ed166191dd77ff0b71a97ae8b292e87.jpg

Taken in the early hours of Sunday morning. I may have another go at processing this at some point, I've struggled with this one. Comments and constructive criticisms welcome as ever.

Nice! What colour calibration method did you use? Colours are a bit too pink, imo.

Sometimes photometric colour calibration results in colours that are a bit "off" after stretching. The standard colour calibration routine can give more pleasing colours.

Great image. The short exposure time over 3 hours shows what a great result can be achieved. I’m limited by light pollution and lack of guiding so will definitely be having a go this way next time I’m out. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Jarvo

Much better. As you say yourself, the next step is to add more data. The stars are a bit soft. How do you focus? A remedy in software is deconvolution before stretching and star reduction towards the very end of processing.

Hi, when I tried deconvolution on the stars I was left with a sharp central white point and a fuzzy halo. I did do deconvolution on the galaxy. I also did star reduction towards the end but if I took it too far some of the stars disappeared. I may have to do a different mask so I can perform it on just the larger stars first.

I find with focusing this lens that if I focus as well as possible I get violet CA, but if I'm out a tiny amount out there's no CA at all. I may have to  experiment with this. I focus using fwhm score in Sharpcap. I've tried bahtinov masks before but the reading just seems to jump about erratically so I don't trust it. Thanks for the replies.

Archived