Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A good light-blocking screen...?

emadmoussa

I've been thinking about creating a screen around myself (3 directions) while observing in order to prevent the occasional neighbour's light. While there might be a few DIY solutions, I came across this: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAND-MADE-WOVEN-WICKER-ROOM-DIVIDER-SEPARATOR-PANELPRIVACY-SCREEN-PARTITION/400619305490?var=670174842157 

Not quite sure how effective it is, though. 

I was also thinking about getting a couple of these. used them before (for non-astro purposes) and were pretty sturdy - provided it's not windy. 

Roughly, something like this... 

Untitled-1.jpg.2c46e1f6f4cf3549b52fbd23bb6f9905.jpg

Any thoughts..? 

Thanks! 

I would fear the unwelcome gust of wind ... even when it is supposed to be still,   knocking it onto the scope.

I use medium weight tarps and bungees attached  to anything suitable nearby ....... washing line pole, green house, house wall, dividing fence  etc....

If you use hooks, you can out-fox the wind and vary the aspect of the coverage.

Sean.

I have a three-panel articulated dark green welding screen, each panel 4'x6', that I weigh down over the T-bases with cement blocks, to shield the scope from the house lights. Fortunately I got it free from a friend, as it is $250ish new. But it is light and quick to set up, and the U-shape makes it quite strong against any wind gusts, and protects the scope somewhat from the same.

You could drill a hole or holes along the top, and buy some guy ropes to thread through and anchor to the ground with tent pegs..  Cotswold. Outdoors could supply what you need.

Seems a good Idea, so.worth the effort to blank out that unwanted light intrusion.

Of course you'd need to take care when moving around in case you may trip over the ropes.

Ron.

Archived