Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Educational and fun star chart app for beginners

Taz777

There are lots of star chart apps out there. Specifically for the iPad, which ones would you recommend for someone just starting out? My aim would be to make use of AR (augmented reality) and point my iPad at the section of sky that I’m looking at and to learn about what I’m seeing. Thus, the app should be educational to an extent, and fun and easy to use.

From some initial research I’ve shortlisted SkySafari and Stellarium, but am open to suggestions. Stellarium has so-so reviews on the App Store. SkySafari 6 Plus has better reviews.

For the time being I have Sky Safari Plus on my iPad. It was a clear evening and I saw some stars quite clearly so I pointed my iPad running Sky Safari Plus at the same section of sky but couldn’t make sense of Sky Safari. I was trying to map what I saw with my eyes against what Sky Safari was showing me.

I have a lot to learn!

Quick question: if I have SkySafari Plus on my phone and tablet, then is it still worth getting a planisphere? Would I get any additional benefits from a planisphere that SkySafari cannot give me. BTW, I just discovered the 'night mode' on SkySafari that dims the display and makes it red.

Archived