Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1491 in Perseus - The Wild Boar Nebula?

gorann

Finally last night I had the first relatively clear sky after New Year. Since the sky was not the best and the moon was up half the night, I aimed straight up. I have already imaged most of the nebulas in Cassiopeia (with variable success) and I wanted to try something new, so I aimed at this less well-known nebula in Perseus. I think I see some tusks in there and it reminds me of a Wild Boar face - but that may be only me. It could also be a toad, but they rarely have tusks.

This is a HaRGB image. I managed to grab 29 x 10 min of RGB with the Esprit 150 and ASI 071 OSC, and 37 x 10 min of Ha with the Esprit 100 and ASI1600MM, sitting side by side. So totally 11 hours but with rather poor seeing so I aim to visit in again on a clearer night. Ha added to the red channel as Lighten in PS. This was probably the last night with the EQ8 (RIP) as my Esprits are eagerly waiting to jump onto the new Mesu 200.

Comments most welcome of course

20190114 NGC1491 HaRGB5minPS21smallSign.jpg

I like it and see the boar.

However, this phrase is slightly ambiguous:  ' it reminds me of a Wild Boar face - but that may be only me.'   Could you send us a picture of your face so we can decide? :icon_mrgreen:

Glad you got some clear skies,

Olly

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like it and see the boar.

However, this phrase is slightly ambiguous:  ' it reminds me of a Wild Boar face - but that may be only me.'   Could you send us a picture of your face so we can decide? :icon_mrgreen:

Glad you got some clear skies,

Olly

Thanks Olly! I tried to collect a bit more Ha last night - not sure what it looks like yet.

Did you not see me in this movie? I deliver my line about half way into the trailer:

Added 19 x 20 min of Baader 7nm Ha taken with the Esprit 150 and ASI071 last night (while risking frost damage as it was -16°C). So now totally about 17 hours of data. I am sure there would have been more details revealed if the seeing (and thereby guiding) had been better.

20190114 NGC1491 HaRGB5minPS34smallSign.jpg

2 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Great image Göran. Nice rich deep colours, without affecting the star colours and nicely processed.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve!

here is a pure Ha version. Messed up a bit with framing (camera rotation) last night. Can only blame the cold (-16°C) and my stiff fingers. So the framing is different from the HaRGB version, but it reveals a bit more details. It is collected both with the Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM (Baader 3.5nm Ha filter) and the Esprit 150 with ASI071MC (Baader 7nm Ha filter). Totally 15 hours.

20190118 NGC1491 071HaPS7+Ha 1600 2darPS6smallSign.jpg

5 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks Olly! I tried to collect a bit more Ha last night - not sure what it looks like yet.

Did you not see me in this movie? I deliver my line about half way into the trailer:

A fine performance, Sir! 

Olly

Archived