Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS Optics imaging star 71 query

Hi all - hoping to pick your collective brains re this scope.

I've got the chance to buy one used, but not sure whether its a good buy or not. There were some reports about this scope, and the WO one which I thought was the same, having pinched or variously dodgy optics. 

AS I understand it, the new TS version has been redesigned with a 5 lens system - according to 365anyhow. See here. although oddly its still describes as a quadruplet.

On the TS site however, its still described as a 4 element system. See here.

To confuse things further, Williams list the 71 as a four element design, see here, and 365 list the WO 71 as a 4 element design, with the 5 element version having been discontinued.

So, not quite sure whats going on! 

Anyhow, the one I'm looking at is a TS one that's 3 years old, so almost certainly its the original. 

Essentially I'm looking at a dedicated refractor to replace my Tamron 300 SP camera lens, which has been very good - so that's where I'm coming from.

Anybody got any thoughts?

First of all  I'm no expert when it comes to assessing scopes.  However I can say that I bought the TS Imaging Star 71 a few years ago  as my first scope and what a great little scope it has proved to be. I still have it though mainly use my Takahashi now. I have a very slow broadband speed so would have difficulty sending raw subs to you.  I used it with various DSLR's - eg.  Canon 550S, modified and Nikon D600 unmodified.  No problems focusing or attaching.  I sent my first subs and image to the chair of Abergavenny Astronomy society, a very knowledgeable guy  and he rated it highly  particularly the flat fields.  

Annie

Thanks for those comments - TBH I think I'm going to have to put this purchase on hold. I've got too much on the go, and trying to rush this isn't the way to go.

Looking at RAW subs does seem an obvious way to check though, so maybe I'll ask the seller to do  that - nothing ventured... etc

Archived