NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M74 Phantom Galaxy

drjolo

I have been playing with astroimaging for a few years already, but have never attempted M74 galaxy yet. Eventually I decided to do that October last year, there were a few clear nights, but none of them provided good seeing. I was little bit disappointed with subframes quality, but last weekend I got back to this data, stacked and processed it. M74 has really low surface brightness and it is one of the hardest Messier object to catch visually. It was also a challenge for imaging under my suburban sky.

10,11.10.2018, Meade ACF 10" f/10, AP CCDT67, EQ6, QHY163M, L 100x2 minutes, RGB 3x25x1 minute, gain=100, suburban sky. Seeing moderate, transparency good.

2018-10-11-M74-1.jpg

Another excellent galaxy capture Lucas.

I've finally got around to purchasing the AP CCDT67 reducer for my 10" Meade so obviously there have been no clear skies since it arrived.

Already got some data gathered on M74 so must try the new reducer to see the difference.

ATB

Dave

Thanks a lot!

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Another excellent galaxy capture Lucas.

I've finally got around to purchasing the AP CCDT67 reducer for my 10" Meade so obviously there have been no clear skies since it arrived.

Already got some data gathered on M74 so must try the new reducer to see the difference.

I keep my fingers crossed! Winter at my location gives not much clear nights even without purchasing anything :)

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Good result. It's a target which can never have too much data.

Olly

That's very true. Recently I read an opinion, that nowadays it is enough to capture 2-3 hours of data and then processing will do all the tricks. I do not agree with that. 

12 hours ago, drjolo said:

That's very true. Recently I read an opinion, that nowadays it is enough to capture 2-3 hours of data and then processing will do all the tricks. I do not agree with that. 

I will believe this when I see it. I rarely work with less than 10 hours' data and, even then, keeping the processing 'invisiible' requires careful attention. Give me 30 hours and I'm a happy bunny!

Olly

Archived