Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
John Baker

P46/Wirtanen over the Haldon Belvedere, Exeter

My first time in a competition on here, so not totally sure what I am doing :)    I managed a grand session on the 27 December and took close to 80 shots of the comet mainly from the Haldon Belvedere also known as St Lawrence Castle before the moon rose above the horizon.

St Lawrence Castle was built in 1788 and is quite prominent on the skyline of the Haldon HIlls above Exeter and is a great location for astrophotography.

My aim with this shot was to try to get a decent view of the comet, the Milky Way, Andromeda and the Pleiades plus the part of the castle in a single image. The light on the castle is mainly from the light pollution of Exeter.

This was my favourite image, a single frame taken on a Canon 1Dx using a Tamron 15-30mm Zoom at 15mm, f2.8, 30 Seconds and ISO 2, 500

JohnBaker-JFBX8674-Small.thumb.jpg.c13d97f86ef6ef1b76230e43e90872b2.jpg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, John Baker said:

My aim with this shot was to try to get a decent view of the comet, the Milky Way, Andromeda and the Pleiades plus the part of the castle in a single image.

You’ve done that brilliantly, very impressive. Wonderful image :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scooot said:

You’ve done that brilliantly, very impressive. Wonderful image :) 

This was the other I rather liked, this takes in Orion with a similar crop :) 

JohnBaker-JFBX8666-Small.thumb.jpg.c96d4527039c3d7cd288d6faeec6b5e0.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, John Baker said:

This was the other I rather liked, this takes in Orion with a similar crop :) 

JohnBaker-JFBX8666-Small.thumb.jpg.c96d4527039c3d7cd288d6faeec6b5e0.jpg

That’s great too but I prefer the first :) The lighthouse has a much sharper edge and it’s lighting doesn’t look so natural to me. I’d be pleased if I took it though :) 

9 hours ago, Scooot said:

That’s great too but I prefer the first :) The lighthouse has a much sharper edge and it’s lighting doesn’t look so natural to me. I’d be pleased if I took it though :) 

It’s a really a folly, it’s not the easiest to get as you are too close and need to tilt the camera - this is the standard view... Shame the newly weds left the light in :( 

8C159728-5691-46D6-A513-C0F8F6779800.thumb.jpeg.81a03314bc82e1d360f22ad8b363c880.jpeg

This was the straight crop top, I think I was zoomed into 30mm, exposure down to 15seconds

4172F800-8E5A-4EB7-BC74-A277E07CA2C3.jpeg.c5e49221512d8fbdf5cc546a7d41efc9.jpeg

• Like 1

Like all the images but the first one stands out for me 👍

• Thanks 1

Another great widefield image you have here, milky way, comet and andromeda really stand out.  Not much light pollution back when that castle was built.